New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some Engraving
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was going to put this in the engraving forum, but it is pretty dead over there so I'll put it here.

First one is a Springfield by Al Linden, don't know who engraved the bolt handle, but suspect Kornbrath. Second is a very early G&H Springfield. It is signed Jos Fugger. Third is a Springfield stocked by John Hutton. Engraving is unsigned. For those unfamiliar with Hutton he worked for some time for G&H then after that he worked for Whelens company National Target and Supply. I forget the issue but he is pictured on the cover of an american rifleman about 1940 or so. He was an exceptional stock maker in my opinion. Certainly among the best of that time.

Regards,
John

Posts: 553 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice work, but I would think a bit too garish by today's standards, especially the bolt handle.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gasgunner:
I was going to put this in the engraving forum, but it is pretty dead over there so I'll put it here.

First one is a Springfield by Al Linden, don't know who engraved the bolt handle, but suspect Kornbrath. Second is a very early G&H Springfield. It is signed Jos Fugger. Third is a Springfield stocked by John Hutton. Engraving is unsigned. For those unfamiliar with Hutton he worked for some time for G&H then after that he worked for Whelens company National Target and Supply. I forget the issue but he is pictured on the cover of an american rifleman about 1940 or so. He was an exceptional stock maker in my opinion. Certainly among the best of that time.

Regards,
John

John, you sure have a nice collection of rifles from the old masters. Keep the photos coming.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the 3rd engraving (Moose) is signed.

Betw the front legs of the Moose there is a plant.
It is shaped in a Y.
On the leaf that branches off to the left as we look at it and touches what is the right leg of the Moose...

On that leaf are two initials.

If you enlarge the pic you can see them much better.
To me they look like a JF in a somewhat simple script style.
The top bar of the F formed starting from the left of the upright of the letter.

I was first drawn to that area of the engraving by what I thought was a signiture or engravers mark just below the right leg of the Moose in the water.
It appears as a '2' with the lower bar somewhat drooped downward. The slash through it is just one of the background cuts put in to shade the water area.
The mark perhaps intended to note a reflection of the leg in the water. It just looked out of place as far as shading so it caught my eye. Then I saw the letters on that leaf.
Maybe that drooping 2 means something else and isn't mean't to be a reflection of the leg of the Moose either. It just doesn't seem to fit in there no matter how much I look at it.

Just my observation after engraving for 50 yrs.

..and I could be all wrong of course!!

Great pics,,great rifles!
Love the bear using the opening in the ribbon border for a foot hold to climb up on the rocks.

Thanks for posting them.