THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    DWM Argie 1909 receiver, worth $250?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DWM Argie 1909 receiver, worth $250?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So I've got an offer to get a bubba'd DWM 1909 argentine Mauser for $250. It looks like the receiver will be the only part worth keeping, but I'm thinking it might still be worth that? Rust free, and the receiver is apparently unaltered.

Did these normally have a bent bolt? (This one does, if it's a modification it looks well done...)

What do you think?

I was hoping it could make a fun quasi-DIY? Get a prefit barrel from Midway, rent a finish reamer, maybe even dabble in a rust blue job and some wood work over the coming months?

So, should I buy? I've certainly spent more on less before!

Posts: 174 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 14 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your only concern isthe bolt handle there are a number of folks who either bend to suit your needs or weld a new handle on. Rust bluing is an easily learned technique. Are there scope mount holes in the receiver?

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bolt handle looks fine so far ask can tell from the pictures.

No scope mount holes yet

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Why don't you want the bolt? 09 Args originally came with very nice hinged floorplate mag boxes.
Rifles came with straight bolt; carbines came with turned down ones.

Posts: 17128 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could be a carbine bolt....has turn down or bent handle. Many were converted to 30-06 so your good on the mag box....make a very nice custom rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I was ok slow. But, he ended up selling it for more anyway so I would have passed regardless.

Now that my interest is piqued, though... Besides a 1909, what other Mauser actions are common out there that I could try my hand at sporterizing on my own?

VZ24? One of those Domoulins at Sarco?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kala_azar:
Well I was ok slow. But, he ended up selling it for more anyway so I would have passed regardless.

Now that my interest is piqued, though... Besides a 1909, what other Mauser actions are common out there that I could try my hand at sporterizing on my own?

VZ24? One of those Domoulins at Sarco?

You would be miles ahead to start with a Dumoulin.
Nice 3 position, trigger, bottom metal, already D & T. New bolt handle needed in my opinion.
About the only negative is they need finishing which you would have to do anyways and somewhat expensive scope mounting.

Really if those Dumoulins were available in the future at that price there is no reason to even start with a typical military mauser action at the prices sellers are asking and getting for them today.

Even used Interarms Mark X are a better buy for a guy self sporterizing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
a lot of people think they need a c ring action.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
The bolt handle will look like this if it's still original.

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:

Not only that, some people like the looks of a custom built on a milsurp action. I do.

Saving money is good but not if it gets in the way of what you want for a final product.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
quote:

Not only that, some people like the looks of a custom built on a milsurp action. I do.

Saving money is good but not if it gets in the way of what you want for a final product.

True, if you are in the 20% category (my guess) that is willing to spend the money or have the talent to do the work.
It is the 80% that don't that would be far ahead just buying a complete gun or at least a commercial action.

But I guess the pride of being able to say, "I butcher.... built it myself" is worth something. Smiler

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug W:
quote:
quote:

True, if you are in the 20% category (my guess) that is willing to spend the money or have the talent to do the work.
It is the 80% that don't that would be far ahead just buying a complete gun or at least a commercial action. Not if that gets in the way of what you want for a final product.

But I guess the pride of being able to say, "I butcher.... built it myself" is worth something Smiler HMMM, I just don't agree.

I guess we just won't agree on this subject. If my vision of a nice custom rifle included a slicked up milsurp action and I settled on a commercial copy to save money or to put myself "way ahead of the game." I wouldn't be happy with the final product.

Here is the above pictured action after it was "butchered." if I would have used a commercial action on this 9.3X62 project I wouldn't have been nearly as happy with the results.

To me the action is the heart of a custom rifle and everything else is built off that. If I let that choice be dictated by being "way ahead of the game" then the whole project is compromised from the very start. It seems for me that every time I've compromised the large choices on a custom I'm less than satisfied with the final product. That's just me though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Wiebe, I have (2) 09 customs by your fellow talented Smiths and a Mex in the works, but I do not know what a 'C' ring is. Educate me please. Thank you.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you look into the front threaded portion of the receiver, with the barrel off of course, you will see an inner ring about 5/8" in. This is normally where the barrel seats. It looks like a letter "C". On the action, opening in the ring is for the extractor to slide through. On the later ones, there is a cut on both sides, done for ease of manufacture. This was commonaly called the "H" ring.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Mr.Kobe. The Mex will be headed your way when I receive it.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Here is the above pictured action after it was "butchered." if I would have used a commercial action on this 9.3X62 project I wouldn't have been nearly as happy with the results.

Nice work! But, that is clearly in the 20% category (that is willing to spend the money or have the talent to do the work), not the 80% that don't.

By butchered, I mean misdrilled scope holes (sometimes a couple of tries worth), overpolishing, over cut rear bridge, hillbilly bolt handles, bolt handles bent and ground wafer thin,, and all the rest I frequently see.
Most of which can never be fixed.
Those type would be better off buying a commercial.