THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    CUSTOM RIFLES Book Now available
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CUSTOM RIFLES Book Now available
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
[/IMG]
SEE CLASSIFIED
NOW AVAILABLE AND SHIPPING! Long out of print.
Special Introductory Offer $60 post paid

This book is the go-to book for Custom Gunmakers and their clients when choosing options and features while looking at detailed photos on the same page at the same time. It has been out of print for some time and copies are selling for $145 and up on the used book market.
Replace your worn shop copy, slightly darker images for a sharper look that first printing! Order Today!
Thanks for your support,
Steve Hughes[IMG]

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1788 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have this book. The only thing that could improve on it would be if all the photos were in color. The black&white photos are, perhaps at showing the grain and contrast than color.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a signed copy of the original printing. I find that B&W photos do a great job of depicting the workmanship without letting exhibition wood "take over" as it sometimes does in color photography of fine guns.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Steve, another one that needs to be reprinted, and then advertised, is Three Centuries of Tradition. That is one of the all time, and timeless, classics.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4196 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Great book, the black and white photo's do a great job of pulling your eye to the details of the rifles, not just pretty wood.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to each of you for the positive feedback!

Phil, you will have to talk to the Minneapolis Institute of Arts about reprinting that one. It was my understanding there were only 1500 copies(?) I was at the show opening and bought a case of books right then. Of course they are Long Gone!
(Heilmann/Tucker M-52 the scan makes the printed page look a bit pixilated)

I thought about adding a color section but as B&W it has a true "art" book quality.
This printing has a bit more contrast and the details are even more sharp than the first printing.

Thanks again,
Steve
If you drop me a note I'll be glad to inscribe the book to you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And another...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you post a table of contents or perhaps a list of rifle models included in the book?

Posts: 815 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are 16 bolt action rifles, 19 single shot rifles and 4 lever action rifles. They are all sophisticated custom rifles, most beyond the norm for styling, detail work and creativity.
It has been said that the rifles shown set the "benchmark for the trade".
Here is the first page of the Contents, single shots include: Low Wall-3, Dakota-1, Ruger-3, Hagn-2, High Wall-6, Steven 44-1, Sharps 77-3. Lever action include on each: Marlin M-39A, Marlin 38-55, Winchester M-1886 and Winchester M-1873.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you. That is very helpful.

Posts: 815 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your book order Mike, it will go out today! BTW: I sign, package and ship each of the books myself.

And THANKS AGAIN to each of you for your thoughtful comments about Custom Rifles. The book is the accomplishment I am most proud of and has seen much wider audience and much more acclaim than I ever imagined.
It was French gunmaker Joel Dorleac that told me it set a benchmark of quality for the trade... as you might imagine, that made me feel really great!
Best,
Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thought I'd bump this with a pic of a Very unusual Jerry Fisher .375 M-70 I will be offering for sale very soon.

The rifle was custom built in 1992, the owner died just prior to delivery and it has been sitting in a safe for 30 years, unfired since Jerry tested it. Even with a drop box Fisher managed to make a trim and graceful timber/ DG rifle...
Thanks again for all the book sales! info on website.
Best,
Steve

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
I just received my copy of the book yesterday and all I can say is WOW! Tons of great photos and details to pore over.

SDH... you should hold onto that rifle 'til September!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Are there still copies available, and if so will you ship to Canada?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, copies are available and I'd be glad to ship to Canada:
1st class + $15
Priority + $20

Evan, I'm glad you enjoy the book! I have arranged to have this Jerry Fisher M-70 .270 here when you are in Sept. for the Seminar. It is a lovely and very trim rifle and will be a perfect example for your project. Another student (from WA) will also be working on a M-70 stock.
BTW: there is one work station open for the Sept. group!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have an original copy and think it is a go to book for someone interested in having a true custom made. enough ideas for several doz. new rifles. i will get a new book just to have when my old one is totally used up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Virginia, there are a few custom lever rifles... Check out the other question post for another pic. This one is self explainitory. One of four pages of info and pics of thia rifle. Shipping books daily, Thanks for your orders!
Steve

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
This is a fine book, full of beautiful photos and interesting commentary. I have truly enjoyed reading, and re-reading, my copy, over the years.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13389 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Just paypal'ed you for one.
Thanks

Mac

Posts: 1724 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike & Mac (your book went out Priority Mail this AM)...
Steve

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDH:
Evan, I'm glad you enjoy the book! I have arranged to have this Jerry Fisher M-70 .270 here when you are in Sept. for the Seminar. It is a lovely and very trim rifle and will be a perfect example for your project. Another student (from WA) will also be working on a M-70 stock.

Thanks for the pics... can't wait to handle that rifle.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Received my copy in the mail yesterday... What a book! It gives a world of ideas in where to go with any custom you would consider creating, and with the personalized dedication and signature as well as the personalized thank you card, it is money very well spent.

Steve, thank you, sir, for a wonderful book of artistic creativity!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just received 35 books for my students they are all excited and love them If you like custom guns and if you are ever thinking of commissioning a custom rifle this book is a must have. I have had an original printing for many years and it is heavily used and dog eared. Now I have a nice new copy to keep in the book case.

Michael J

Posts: 485 | Location: Lakewood Colorado | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My thanks to all..
With the help of gunsmithing instructors at three schools several dozen students have Custom Rifles at a discount price. I will extend the offer to any other gunsmithing students (I tried to contact all of the schools) just have an instructor contact me.
Thanks again Michael!