THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Questions on the 350 Remington Magnum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions on the 350 Remington Magnum
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted
Hey guys,

Anyone know if the velocity gain going from a 22inch barrel to a 24inch barrel in this calibre would be worthwhile?

It seems from everything that I've read the 225gr load is the most popular in this calibre. What velocities is the 350 Remington Magnum capable of with the 225gr load, when you can seat the bullet out further than the standard COAL length of 2.800 (Barnes in their reloading manual recommends 2.895).

How does Reloader 15 perform in this cartridge?

Michael.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two 350 rem mags. One 24" and one with 22" barrel, and the shorter barrel gun is about 80 fps slower with the same loads. I have been using imr 3031 powder with 200 gr bullets at about 2800 fps to 2880fps. I have not used rl 15 in the 350 rem, but would guess that it is a little too slow. Rl 15 is great in the 35 whelen and 338/06 though. Rl 15 may work ok in the 350 rem with heavier bullets like 225 and 250 gr. It may be worth a try, as it is good powder. Daryl

Posts: 296 | Location: Clyde Park, MT | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 350 is one of my all time favorites. Have shot one for many years. I have a Rem 700 classic with a 22 inch barrel. I really don't think you would gain much by going to 24 inches. I've used both 225 grain and 250 grain bullets. 225's at about 2700 fps and 250's at about 2550 fps. I mostly used IMR 3031 in my gun but I will look at my load data to see what I got with RL-15. I think this is the powder that gave me good velocities with the 225's.

Sam

Posts: 2831 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try tac. understand it gets great speed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seating a 225 gr bullet out that additional .095" will gain you about 2.5 gr of net water capacity in the case, but also raises pressure because the bullet is closer to the lands. You might be able to add a grain or grain and a half of powder at most, and gain another 30 fps.

H4895 and BL-C(2) give good velocities with 225 gr bullets.

one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
My lil Ruger shoots a 225 Barnes at 2845fps with 63gr.of Ramshot Tac with a Fed 210GM primer in .750" tu2

" If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seating a 225 gr bullet out that additional .095" will gain you about 2.5 gr of net water capacity in the case, but also raises pressure because the bullet is closer to the lands.

I gave this some thought, so I would look at a small amount of freebore.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rem 700 classic has a good bit of freebore.
I file the tips off 250 grn speers to make a "mag tip" and seat them out. Lyman manual load of IMR 4895 gives me 2600 fps.

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
How does yours feed?

We had a M7 Custom shop through the rifle, and it was very well "custom" in that it wouldn't feed.

Not the first Custom Shop Remington to have problems.

Had a similar problem with a 338 Win M700 Custom KS Mountain rifle.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a Remington Model 7 from the Custom Shop in 350 RM with a 20" barrel. It shot great with 200 and 250 grain bullets. 225's were not around back then.

I thought the recoil was fairly mile, much less than a 20" 375 H&H I had at the time.

The problem with it ws it5 worked with factory Remington factory ammo 100%, but with reloads it would porpiose the second round out of the magazine with reloads. The shoulder was just enough larger with reloads to cause the trouble.

Remington was not intrested in helping solve the problem. I talked to them about it personally at the shot show...

I now use a Blaser R 93 Tracker with a 19 3/4" barrel in 375 H&H in its place. The Blaser functions 100% and is a MOA or better shooter...

Still I think the 350 RM is a good calibre...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote