THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Poll - At what price does a rifle lose its utility
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll - At what price does a rifle lose its utility
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
quote:

I do not hesitate to use my rifles and guns. It is what they are built for.

Now now, I agree with you- that's not what I believe. I have no use for a safe queen. Just tossing it out there.

And for that matter I don't have "toss aways" for "difficult" hunts. All of my non .22 LR are customs (why I don't post in any customs in the fields threads)....besides who the fk on this site hunts with an OEM anyways........ Wink

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1429 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably many on this forum are not familiar with Howard Knutson. Howard was a guide in the Wrangells and in the Brooks Range during the golden era of sheep hunting. You might say that Mr. Knutson probably knows more about Dall Sheep than any person living(biologist or otherwise).

Howard used one rifle as a guide during this time period. A bespoke 300 HH commercial mauser made by Holland and Holland. It has wonderful wood and is blued.

While those living in the Panhandle might discuss the hard conditions there. The evidence from the guides from around the state that I have talked with and my own experiences seem to suggest that the notion that rust-blued wooden stocked rifles are as delicate as a mountain flower is a bit over stated.

A rifle is a tool but one that is crafted to you with the very best parts is quite likely to perform in the worst possible conditions.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Thomas Kennedy

Posts: 122 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't make enough money to buy any rifle I won't take afield hunting or just shooting.

Example: I just bought a Shiloh (Farmingdale) Sharps in 45-90 with the SN:EK100. Elmer Keith.
I have provenance from his son and grandson.

I will be firing about 200 rounds thru it in the next three months, getting ready for the Quigley Rifle Match in June. By time I get home, it will have more than 500 rounds thru it.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Bolt action or DR?

Big difference.

I will gladly hunt my Merkel 470, but wouldn't spend the same on a bolt gun.

I voted 5K, but 3-4K is really tops for me.

A M70 with good glass and $1000( plus add stock if you want synthetic) max of gunsmith work is my definition of a top quality working rifle.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have to chime in with the majority here that my level of comfort is the same as what I am comfortable paying for a hunting rifle. Currently that lies around a couple of grand although I suspect that will change rather soon as I think a double is in my near future (after this years Africa trip). So depending on whether it will be a Merkel 140 or a Searcy my revised level will be just below or a few grand above 10k.
My salvation is that I'm drawn towards older, well used quality guns that for some reason or other just don't fetch a lot of money. That, and of course my wife who brings me back to reality and more pragmatic spending habits from time to time.

Posts: 178 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 20 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put a figure of $5,000 but could justify spending a bit more on a good quality double rifle. Personally I like and enjoy good quality, that's why I use a Heym sr20, and a Joseph Hambrusch built combination gun and in shotgun an Aya Coral and a WJ Jeffery side by side 410. They are all 2nd hand, the youngest is 30 yrs old and are used, but not abused ( save for he 410 which had abused in a former life and really needs sleeving, and has been repaired at the hand at some point - but that's all part of its charm). To my mind a rifle or shotgun is a fine tool to be used, but also looked after. I want to spend my money where it counts - on then barrels, on the action, it's fit and finish and also on good optics. But what I don't need are gold plating, fancy engraving or over specked scopes.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I just came back from the gunsmith, I'll have to revise my two grand to four now. Still, couldn't be more content.

Posts: 178 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 20 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
The limit is the one I can't afford, anything I can afford I hunt with. I think the most I have paid is for a new Merkel 470NE. And I definitely hunted with it. I cannot imagine anything I would buy for absolutely any amount I would NOT hunt with. To me a firearm loses it's utility when it either doesn't shoot straight or otherwise perform correctly as to feed and such. Price is absolutely irrelevent. If I could afford it I'd use it period.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can afford it, then you should use it....

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
No limit - as my best friend, a retired Marine always says:

"Have you ever met a woman too pretty to kiss?"

Same goes for rifles. If you have a nice one, hunt with it!

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
subsailor, I like that one. Cool

But a kiss doesn't equate to taking her home and putting her in the safe! Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13399 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
No limit - as my best friend, a retired Marine always says:

"Have you ever met a woman too pretty to kiss?"

Same goes for rifles. If you have a nice one, hunt with it!

If they're all made up sometimes they don't want you to kiss them.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I have never met a woman too pretty to kiss or to take hunting.
but I have seen plenty of both that were either too fancy and delicate or totally useless.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 1969 the Old Man had a custom rifle built for him on a BSA action with a beautiful walnut stock and hand polished metalwork. It was his only rifle for many years and he spent a lot of time banging around Northern BC in the Granisle country. That rifle wasn't babies and even though it has a few marks on it (surprisingly few actually) I think that it's one of the most beautiful rifles I've ever seen. I used it two years ago to take a Saskatchewan whitetail doe during my "Year of the Mauser". I have no idea what he paid for it but I do know that a dollar went a long way in 1969. I guess it serves to illustrate that if you buy quality things that you take pride in owning and using then you will get enough pleasure out of it to justify the price.

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still hunt with 25-35 and 30-30 Win. that sold back then for $14.50..I love those old guns and they are as deadly now as they were in in 1894..

I also have hunted a lot with $15,000 double rifles and $6500 bolt custom bolt guns..

I loved every damn one of them and if I ever catch 458 asleep by his Lon Paul 06 I will hunt with that one if I can just make good my escape before he wakes up..

Its not about money, it about the individual and no place in the world will you see different folks with different strokes than you will on a gun blog with a question like this..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote