New
Find
Notify
Tools

404 on a Waffenfabrik
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Waffenfabrik Mauser Oberndorf 1917" Owner certainly didn't want to hide that! The action was re heat treated by Blanchard's of Utah after I added the square bridge and did all the necessary mods. The completed rifle weighs 8-10 without scope and 9-5 with. Client furnished the highly figured Bastogne blank...damn hard piece of wood that makes me hope there's no more like It out there!

The tasteful lettering and engraving was done by Master Engraver Jim Blair of WY.

Photos tell the rest of the story.

Posts: 3489 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Another beauty.

Posts: 426 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Won't that crush the scope mounted like that?

Sorry...I had to start it this time... horseHar!

Nice work as always.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Makes my mouth water more than a bison steak, beautiful Duane.

Posts: 59 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 01 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
That's gorgeous, Duane.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12578 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted Hide Post
Very nice Duane. Thanks for sharing.

Lee

Posts: 570 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 28 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Duane,

You really do some nice work. Unfortunately it's just a little outside my retirement budget these days!

Roll Eyes

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2800 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle Duane

I love seeing your perfect inletting. Proper!

DRSS

Posts: 1915 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another beautiful rifle
Thank for posting

dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very good looking rifle.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stunning...just stunning. I am sure the owner will be overjoyed to receive that beautiful rifle.

Thanks for sharing

Posts: 130 | Location: Ozarks | Registered: 04 August 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice stock work. Years ago I had a blank of Bastogne and the stockmaker refused to use it, so I ended up with English Walnut. I gave the Bastogne blank to a friend to have fitted to his HighWall, but I never saw it finished- then the fellow died and I don't know what happened to the rifle. Oh well, it's nice to know there are some stockmakers that have courage and persistence to use the wood.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous rifle in my favorite caliber. Functional art!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Superior workmanship.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9888 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Keeping that banner visible * really * stretches that Leupold! Curious how you did the insert on the rear sight?

Another classic rifle. Excellent.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Very nice! [Insert drooling emoji here.]

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
Keeping that banner visible * really * stretches that Leupold! Curious how you did the insert on the rear sight?

Baxter: I'll assume you mean the gold inlay? In the mfg. of these sights, we mill a vertical slot, but Jim Blair did the actual inlay

Posts: 3489 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:

Baxter: I'll assume you mean the gold inlay? In the mfg. of these sights, we mill a vertical slot, but Jim Blair did the actual inlay

Thanks Duane. Very nice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Superb...wow!

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
The inletting is eye-watering. That truly sets the bar. Thanks for the close up picture. I know tools don't equal ability, but could you post a picture of your most used inletting tools sometime?

Dave

Posts: 920 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best part of it is that these wonderful old Mauser actions are being resurrected and given this first class treatment and a second life.

A7Dave

Duane has posted many photos of his bench before. Didn't you see his tools there? As he would say, "Har"!

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
That inletting is spectacular! If I had one of Duane's rifle I'd be taking it apart all the time to show people. Fantastic!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3052 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another stunner.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Very, very nice Duane!

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rifle is a beauty but I keep going back to the photo of the inletting.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote