New
Find
Notify
Tools

.243 Win build?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently sold my LR Savage 1:7 .243 Win because it was too heavy, I don't much care for 12 lbs rifles without a scope. Here is what I've planned so far. M700 ADL in .243 Win 22" KS contour barrel, B&C MR stock. I have the donor and the stock is on the way, but there are a few other items I need to iron out.

First off is 1:7.5 or 1:8 barrel this time? I was shooting 115 grain Berger's in my last rifle and will probably stick to the 105 grain this time. 1:8 will probably stabilize the 115 as well unless I go down in elevation (4000+ ASL at home), but should I get the faster twist for insurance just in case I luck into a pile of 115's again?

Normal blueprint of the action or send it off to Gre-Tan for the full action treatment? I've never heard of bad work coming from Gre-Tan, but is the extra stuff he does worth the extra money in the long run?

Bolt shroud has the J-Lock and I want to get rid of it. PT&G 3 position bolt shroud or normal M700 shroud? Gre-Tan has a complete firing pin assembly for $31 that will remove my J-Lock and would probably be the smart choice, I just like the PT&G 3 position safety.

Trigger is it Timney, Jewell, or Shilen? I've used Timney before (not on 700's) and have no experience with the others. I might move the bolt release as well, but that isn't a deal breaker if I don't either.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
it seems as though Model 700s do not get much traffic here!

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go with the 7 1/2 twist, just in case. Try a shilen trigger and get a Rifle Basix safety kit to go along with it. Don't know of anyone who makes a good 3 position side swing safety for the 700. Might look at NECG to see if they have for the 700. Not real proud of most stuff that comes from PT&G. As for going with the Gre-Tan 'full' treatment, don't know. Depends on what 'degree' of accuracy you think you need. But go ahead and get the firing pin assembly (complete with bolt shroud) from Gre-Tan to replace the J Lock crap. The side bolt release is always a nice touch on a 700. Does away the sheet metal linkage and doing away with sheet metal is always a +. Most I usually do to a 700, unless its just a total wreck, is lap the lugs, square the ring face and square the bolt face. A few months ago I put together a VZ-24 with a Hart, #4, 7 twist that I chambered in 6mmAI and all I did was square the face of the receiver before barreling it. Easily shoots 107g SMKs into 1/2" @ 100yds. So, I've got my doubts about 'full action truing'.[/QUOTE]

Posts: 691 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote