THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Scope Suggestions for a L461 Custom
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope Suggestions for a L461 Custom
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi All,

I am in the final stages of my custom build, a Sako L461 6X47 "walking varmint" rifle and am looking for an appropriate scope.

I had a semi-inlet "classic" stock that is trim and slim in a stalking rifle shape so the rifle will be light and petite. I would like a scope to match today's scopes all seem to be made for 1000 yard shooting with large tubes and target turrets etc. I will need it to be a variable at least 3X9 or 4X12 to take advantage of the inherent accuracy of the 6X47 and to help my almost 70 year old eyes.

I would like some suggestions from this august group, someone must know of a scope that will fit my needs. Thanks in advance...

Marcos (elalto)

Posts: 143 | Location: Chula Vista, California, USA | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 3X9 Zeiss Conquest is all you need. You have a max 300yd rifle. A 2.5X8 Leupold is good.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Butch,

Problem is not the range of the rifle but the condition of my eyesight. The rifle should, within it's range limits, be quite accurate and the better I can see the better I can place my shots.

I have a Conquest on another Sako, I'll see what it looks like on the little gun.

Thanks,
Marcos (elalto)

Posts: 143 | Location: Chula Vista, California, USA | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless I can rest the rifle on something 9X is my limit.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Nikon Monarch 2-8x32 or I have a neat little scope from Lynx optics in RSA, which is a 2.5-10x32 that I have on my .17 Hornet.

Lovely little handy scope - quite bright as well.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Swarovski 3-9x36 or 3-10x42

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Elalto,

My favorite scope, for the small sporter L461 actioned rifles, is the Leupold Compact 3-9X.

This one is a re-barrelled H&R Model 317, to 17 Mach IV. Barrel is 20" long.

Kevin

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have four Sako A1 custom walking varmint rifles, 17 Rem, 221FB, 223, and 22PPC.
They all have 4-12X Leupolds. And if I were to make another, it would be the same. I did sell my 222 A1 and it had the same scope.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a similar Sako. It wears a Zeiss Conquest 3x - 9x, such as a previous poster mentioned. It is not bulky looking, and I think the resolution is probably very nearly as good as you would get in a more expensive, bigger scope. I also agree that the Leu compact would work quite well. I prefer the Zeiss, in part due to the better adjustments and faster ocular focus.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My L461 in .223 wears a Leopold Vari-x IIC 2-7X33 with Conetrol rings and bases. Makes for a nicely balanced package.

Posts: 22 | Location: Crestview FL | Registered: 12 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My favorite scope, for the small sporter L461 actioned rifles, is the Leupold Compact 3-9X.

DITTO!

John

Posts: 126 | Location: Right here, for now! | Registered: 03 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two AI's and an L461. Mine all have different scopes. The 17 Rem wears an old Vari X-II 4-12, the 20 Extreme wears a 6.5-20 Leupold, the 223 wears a VX-III 3.5-10 with an elevation turret. They all work fine.

I'm wondering how much magazine room you will have with the 6x47. I had one in 6-223 (6x45) and it was very tight for mag room.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to ALL!!

Well I think it is between the Conquest and the Nikon Monarch 2-8x32, maybe.

rembo The 222 and the 222Mag are the same diameter, the problem is the length of the round is limited so I have to use 60grn & smaller bullets.

Thanks again,
Marcos (elalto)

one of us
posted Hide Post
fwiw,
I can't think of a better, aesthetically, looking scope than the Leopold VX-3i 2.5-8x36mm. If I wanted every option offered I would look at the Zeiss Conquest HD 3-15x42(Made in Germany). If you don't want the extra power you don't have to turn it up. An option you won't have with a smaller scope... This is the scope I have on my Anschutz 1727F in .17 HMR. I have the older 4.5-14x44 Conquest(Assembled in USA) on my other Anschutz .17 HMR(a 1717 Classic restocked in a McMillan)...

Regards, Matt.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elalto:
Thanks to ALL!!

Well I think it is between the Conquest and the Nikon Monarch 2-8x32, maybe.

rembo The 222 and the 222Mag are the same diameter, the problem is the length of the round is limited so I have to use 60grn & smaller bullets.

Thanks again,
Marcos (elalto)

I was referring to the length.

The fellow who now has my L461 6-223 shoots the 60 gr Sierra because of the mag length.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A trim walking rifle does not fit with the huge scopes nor are the higher powers usable unless you have a rest or good shooting sticks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
fwiw,
Nice to hear the "rules" from an authority. Here I thought selling Schmidt & Bender Rifle Scopes for 17 years might give me the qualification to make an informed suggestion. I happen to know a few things about "old eyes" and have had customers come in with aesthetic perfection in mind only to be given the actual choices, mounted on rifles or TRY stocks, and have them leave with more scope, illumination, first focal plane reticles, etc.

Further failing to connect a 1 inch tube and a 42mm objective with huge. How does that qualify?

Regards, Matt Garrett
757-581-6270

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On my custom L-461 walk about that looks like an English bolt gun I used and old pre war set of Redfields and a 2x7x28 Leupold..Its compact and has served me to perfection, but Im not big on high power scopes. I like the variable as not all varmints are way out yonder where I hunt, they can be 25 yards or a 1000 yards. Also I hate that heat distortion in the high power..and for that matter, I can get a good sight picture on a varmint at 500 yards with a 2.5 X..You put the crosshair on them and shoot, no need to count fleas on them.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,
You must shoot some awful big varmints if 2.5 is sufficient at 500 Yards! LOL

I'll stick with my 3x9 Leupold on my Vixen triple deuce! Looks big and JUST RIGHT.

For the race-horse cartridges I prefer a top-end of 12 minimum but 18 is even better.

OP,
....but then again you did say a walk around L461.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I happen to have a new set of Warne Maxima rings to fit your rifle. They are no longer made. Let me know if interested.

I agree that the Conquest would look just fine, and work well. Same with the Leu 3-9 compact, though the Zeiss is better optically. My personal opinion is that the Leu 2.5-8 is not one of their better scopes. There are so many out there, Vortex, Sightron, etc., ad nauseum.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zeke,
I'm not big on high power scopes..my targets are smaller, so I have to concentrate, and get in my zone and focus.. Smiler Have you ever shot or looked at a rock chuck or rabbit at 500 yards with a 2.5X scope? you can see them well enough to shoot as a rule, and Ive watched elk and deer at 1000 yards thru a 3X Leupold.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote