THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Looking at a Mauser .22 for a custom rifle...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking at a Mauser .22 for a custom rifle...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well, sorta? I have a really nice Oberndorf Mauser produced .22lr action that is a direct copy of the mauser 98, just mini. Single shot, 3-pos safety, etc. All the metal, no stock. So I figured someday I would build a custom out of that.

Well, recently there was a thread with a custom mauser that was really... over the top? Super nice rifle, just more than what I would ever think of doing to a .22.

Anyway, to the point. I found a MAS 45 that is marked with the MAUSER emblem on the front ring and I am wondering what a fair price is for it? It is in nice shape, stock is nice, barrel is very good. Not that it matters I will probably replace all of that.

Any opinions?

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1482 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
What are you waiting for ? Just be sure to post photos.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

I am waiting to buy it till I find out what I should pay for it. I have seen these MAS 45's on gunbroker for anywhere from $300-$500 but do not know one from the other.

All of the ones on Gunbroker are marked MAS. This one is marked with the Mauser banner.

My point in mentioning that I have an Oberndorf produced action is that I do not NEED this action Smiler. And for $400-$500 I would rather get another cz-527 or other mini mauser and build a rifle.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fal Grunt:
Big Grin

I am waiting to buy it till I find out what I should pay for it. I have seen these MAS 45's on gunbroker for anywhere from $300-$500 but do not know one from the other.

All of the ones on Gunbroker are marked MAS. This one is marked with the Mauser banner.

My point in mentioning that I have an Oberndorf produced action is that I do not NEED this action Smiler. And for $400-$500 I would rather get another cz-527 or other mini mauser and build a rifle.

Give Dave (the guy we both know from the gun show) a call, he can set you straight on the mauser 22's.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have 3 of the mas 45 these were made on mauser machinery and an excelent action for a custom ,,i had one reblued years ago ,and i reshaped the stock, another i have is in flat new condition,,and yet another is with a walnut stock ,,these are the best 22 german actions made ,,the only problem if i remember correctly is that the barrells are bored off center im pretty sure this is the case ,,anyhow the gun in decent shape should be worth 400$ plus and i do remember seeing some marked mauser,,at the time when these were everywhere i had convinced a friend of mine to buy a few cases he did and i picked thru them for what i wanted and he quikly sold the rest.....paul

Posts: 294 | Location: MASSACHUSETTS | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$400± is what the last couple I saw recently locally were going for. It doesn't seem to matter if the MAS 45's are marked Mauser or MAS, price-wise. The earliest ones had the Mauser stamp, later ones MAS. Made on the same machinery in France after WWII, on 'liberated' German machinery.

Posts: 331 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a .22 Mauser PATRONE Single Shot Bolt Action BLUE German Training Rifle if you're interested.

NRA Patron Member

Posts: 404 | Location: Troy Michigan | Registered: 14 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
IMO, the ultimate bolt action rimfire sporter is the Oberndorf 410-B repeater, but they are pretty scarce. MAS-45s are nice but are on the heavy side and are crudely finished but do offer a good custom platform. Brno/CZ variations are good too, especially equiped with the milled triggerguard someone is making now.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Mauser Banner makes the M45 worth more, but how much?

IMO at least $50 but not more than $100 added to the price of a non-Mauser-marked M45.

I've built rifles on M45s and original Mauser repeaters and commercial single-shots plus some miltary trainers. I found the Mauser military trainers to be equal in accuracy to their commercial single-shot counterparts and also the repeaters, i.e. squirrel-heads @ 60 yds. The M45s were not quite as accurate but their bolt handles look better when altered.

I found the original Mausers to be somewhat dainty in the receiver area for best looks in an adult-sized rifle. For me personally, I'd prefer the original Mauser with a shorter trigger and magazine for less stock depth, or else the M45 with Mauser Banner and possibly a better barrel if necessary. The original Mauser RF bolt knobs and handles are truly dainty and actually IMO too small for best looks unless some visual mods are made when stocking.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did anybody ever figure out a nice clean design for a scope mount on a MAS 45?

Posts: 331 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well guys. I am a bit ashamed. I dropped the ball. I had to leave work early to take my little one to the doctors office and missed the auctions end.

It sold for $340, basically in excellent condition.

CRYBABY

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gnoahhh:
Did anybody ever figure out a nice clean design for a scope mount on a MAS 45?

If anyone has, they're keeping it a deep dark secret! (grin)
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe now we need some imaginary pics of what it would look like.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been a long time since I've handled a 45, but I'd start with filling in all holes and slots in the top of the receiver. Then think about scope mounting systems and what is wanted by the owner/shooter. For instance I personally like QD scopes and iron sights, adds a bit of class even though unnecessary. So, I'd probably go with as low a set of narrow QD bases as possible and a tall set of rings. Either Talley or early Kimber, either is fine in my book. Front base placed out on the barrel in order to not hide the Banner logo.

However some folks like other styles and there's nothing wrong with that as long as it works well for them. For instance I've considered welding-on a set of Redfield/Leupold rotating-dovetail bases but it would hide the logo. No loss with anything but the Banner style though.

The original Mausers have a cute little spring-&-plunger arrangement to retain the bolt sleeve's relationship to the bolt handle itself. It's in the root of the handle and most of the custom ones that I've seen have been lost in the Bubbas' welding efforts during the bolt alterations.

I suggest a stronger spring here (bolt handle detent spring) and also a stronger mainspring.
Regards, Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine made a single shot 22 magnum out of a MAS 45.

Lost all his guns including that one in a break-in.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
who makes the nice triggerguards for the MAS and brno #1.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've see a few gorgeous sporters made from military Springfield 1922s and one based on a Winchester 52. The Springfield would take less machining I would think, than a MAS. The Winchester 52 had custom bottom metal and was converted to left hand. That must have been a pill to make!

Good luck on the project, whatever you decide.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2146 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My friend Jim Bagby of Firearms Outfitters bought a rf 40X bolt from Numrich and scrounged a takeoff 700SA receiver. He added a takeoff Remington trigger and Shilen bbl combined with a synthetic stock and 10-22 rotary magazine to make a VERY unique sporter. This was several years prior to Ruger's introduction of the 77-22.

Jim also owns an Ed Shulin Mauser Banner repeater custom with Shulin-carved mannlicher stock, and a very nice Springfield 1922M2 custom sporter with lots of bells & whistles.

These are only a few. We like custom 22s 'round these parts...
Regards, Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
go to rimfire central and check outthe work of teddybearat. he has scoped all the above and made some drop dead wonderful guns.

one of us
posted Hide Post
they make up into some of the nicest 22 L.R. I have seen..Not many of them around..Same can be said for the Win. mod 63 it makes a fantastic custom rifle..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote