Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm RUM to .300 Weatherby
 Login/Join

posted
Can a 7mm RUM be converted to .300 Weatherby without too much trouble? I know I'll need a new barrel, but was wondering about the bolt face being too big or too small?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The head on a RUM is .534 and the Wby is .531. Should not be an issue. Issue I would question is if the feed rails that were open enough for the RUM would control the Wby. That I have no clue

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i think the feed rails will be to wide, you may have to go 300rum

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, that would certainly be the better move, with near identical ballistics and no belt.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The magazine box for the "standard" magums is different than the RUM box. If you have access to a standard magnum magazine box, you could switch and see if they will feed properly or if the feed rails are too wide for the Weatherby. Some actions when converting to the RUM fron a standard only require the RUM mag box and feeding is okay, the next one needs the box and some rail work, so I suspect you could get lucky, otherwise as mentioned the easiest would be to rebarrel 300 RUM, then all you need is the barrel.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are dealing with a Rem 700, you may find that it feeds 300 Weatherby better than the RUM rounds and even better than from the 300 weatherby mag box such as found the weatherby sendero. You have to just try it and see.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote