Find
Notify
Tools

Cheekpiece or no?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted
I have a couple of English rifles that do not have a cheekpice and I like them just fine, I probably would like them more from an aesthetic standpoint, if they had a small pancake, but they handle and cheek just fine without. I got a call from my stockmaker the other day who, while turning the blank, found that due to the initial thinness of the blank, and a slight drying warpage that had occurred, if we use it, it will have to be a no cheekpiece stock. I have other blanks, but had specifically picked this blank a few years ago, from hundreds I looked at at Cecil Fredi's in Vegas. It is California English, honey brown with lateral smokey black mineral streaking and NO fiddleback. This rifle is a drop mag 09 mauser in .375 H&H built along the lines of the Heym "Martini". Did I mention how much I like this blank? I decided, in the interest of the tight timeline with my upcoming july PG hunt, to proceed with it and live without a cheekpiece. It does have express sights, but is a scoped rifle. I just wonder if this will come back to haunt me. This is the only commisioned, professional rifle I have ever had made, and will probably be the last. Kind of a dilema, what are your opinions?

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2269 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I'm not mistaken, Harry Selby's famous .416 Rigby does not have a cheeckpiece so I don't think the lack of one disqualifies your rifle from having "classic" lines.

As long as the stock fits your face and allows you to use the scope comfortably, go with it.

Posts: 989 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never understood the need for cheekpieces. Shot guns don't have them... In fact the British ones have cast off.

The height of the comb is what really positions the face. Cheekpieces seem like finned fenders to me. A stylistic addition that serves no real purpose, except to screw up an otherwise symetrical stock.

My vote is NO!

Posts: 265 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cast off (or on) is not confined to British guns.

Cheek pieces are frequently found on shotguns

A well designed cheekpiece simply adds support to the lower part of the face.

Absolutely required...of course not

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Duane, how often do you get a request for a "slick" stock?
In all my books on customs, I have not found an "Express" style rifle without one, but, maybe I will start a trend! And, Yes, Continental shotguns frequently have cheekpieces and sling swivels, guess thats why I love English doubles!

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I like the look of a well designed cheekpiece. My two custom bolt rifles have them as do most of my british double rifles. When I had Paul Hodgins stock my Jeffery sidelock I wanted it done true to the original which didn't have a cheekpiece. The gun looks fantastic and I never notice any difference in shooting a rifle with one or without one.

Posts: 1309 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The bottom line is, IMHO you can have a stock with or without a cheek piece, and both can fit you perfectly.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
about half the time i make a stock for myself i do not put on a cheek piece, just a nice rounded comb of the right height. just four ounces or so of weight you may or may not want to carry about.

Posts: 978 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
The only two purposes I can think of for a cheekpiece are to provide support lower on the cheek, the other reason to provide a difference in cast at the face relative to the heel/toe.

Otherwise, its asthetic. The lack of a cheek piece is growing on me.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1023 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane is correct--its not about the look--some faces need a cheek piece and some are better without--its about stock fit.

I.E. its not the stock its the face that determines.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the risk of getting a fat lip I will venture that I recall you have a fat face and can probably live without a cheekpiece. As I recall the cheepiece on the A3 Springfield I did for you was fairly abbreviated and I believe it was a good fit.

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen British bolt action rifles - Purdey, Holland, Rigby et al with or without.

In fact its seems that Purdey and Holland preferred a cheekpiece and that you'll less often see a cheekpiece on a Rigby.

On a well laid oit stock, for IRON SIGHTS ONLY, I can't see as it is needed.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Most custom rifles have them for both looks and function, another way to differentiate your rifle... but I think having a custom without one if it is pleasing and functional to you is what makes a "custom" a custom!!!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7538 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Damn Tom! I have been called a lot of things, now "Fat Faced". I prefer " Fuller Featured" Thank you!

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodhits:
If I'm not mistaken, Harry Selby's famous .416 Rigby does not have a cheeckpiece so I don't think the lack of one disqualifies your rifle from having "classic" lines.

As long as the stock fits your face and allows you to use the scope comfortably, go with it.

true, classic lines can still exist in absence of cheekpiece and for-end tip.
Nor does the absence of such features necessarily disqualify a rifle from being bespoke,best-grade.

Harry Selby with .275 Rigby of WMD.Bell:

the .275 Rigby of Jim Corbett:

Jeffery 6.5x54ms:

http://i530.photobucket.com/al...jeffery_boi09l-1.jpg
http://i530.photobucket.com/al...jeffery_boi05l-1.jpg
http://i530.photobucket.com/al...6_jeffery_boi06l.jpg
http://i530.photobucket.com/al...6_jeffery_boi03l.jpg

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Trax, a picture(s), is indeed, worth a thousand words!

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the function of a cheekpiece.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I much prefer the clean lines and fit of a stock with no cheek piece

Posts: 618 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee-I was only poking fun about the fat face, but the name is Mike not Tom.

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
I set up my rifles with similar LOP and trigger pulls. None of my synthetic travel rifles have cheekpieces, none of my wooden ones don't.

Does it make any difference to me- no.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1432 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
its all about the fit--either a cheek piece helps or it doesn't.

Pay no attention to TRAX. All he does is copy pics-

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
...pics of neat custom rifles that AR members really enjoy seeing!
IF you don't like seeing them , your free to use the ignore button.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote