New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3 x 62 questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a spare Oberndorf made 98k action. I am kicking around making a 9.3 x 62. This will be a solid, not fancy, blue and walnut gun for North America; Africa may happen sometime way down the road.

What would be a good barrel length?
I am thinking of a 4 wt Douglas with 1:12 twist.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airgun1:
I have a spare Oberndorf made 98k action. I am kicking around making a 9.3 x 62. This will be a solid, not fancy, blue and walnut gun for North America; Africa may happen sometime way down the road.

Something along the lines of a 24" #3, with a 12" or 14" twist will serve you well.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
23" to 24" is about ideal.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:

airgun1,

I picked a 24" Shilen barrel with a 1:12 twist when I had this built:

Can and would recommend 24" at 1:12

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
My Sauer 200 is 23.6 inches just about right...could even go down to 20 but on a 98 longer looks a little better! Here is my 9.3x62

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
I had my custom made with a 25in barrel (I'm happy with that choice); and I have a Heym carbine with a 20.5in barrel - like it, too!

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antlers:
I had my custom made with a 25in barrel (I'm happy with that choice); and I have a Heym carbine with a 20.5in barrel - like it, too!

It's hard not to like a 9,3x62, no matter what the barrel length. I've had them from 20" to 26" and the way I build them, my 24" feels no different than my 20" did.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Merkel is 18", my Savage is 20", my Sedgley is 24". They all work just fine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Sako model 75 rebarreled with a 23 inch Shilen #3. It worked out really well.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
23 inches is about right to me..

M

Posts: 413 | Location: Norway | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might check out Lothar Walther. I bought one of their threaded, contoured, and crowned barrels in 9.3X62. It was $235. #720 contour- 23.62" long and .650" at the muzzle. The lands, grooves, and twist are European spec. 4-groove, Bore- .354" Groove- .365" Twist- 14.2". I asked Woodleigh if this would stabilize their 320gr bullet... They said it works just fine.

Posts: 206 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know and use lothar walther barrels on smallbore, air rifle, and air pistols; I know they are very accurate.

The bigger calibers are not high on my list in their barrels as they tend to be harder to fit than US made barrels, chippy hard. You have to use the right gunsmith.

There are plenty of great barrels out there, but for a solid hunting rifle, I will stick with Douglas.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, they(LW barrels) are a pain in the machinability department. As far as barrel length(the question I failed to answer, sorry), I always tend to stay at 23"(although for the 9.3 I'm building, I'm going with a 20" barrel in a Mannlicher stock). I have a 98 Mauser in 35 Whelen improved with a Douglas #3 finished out at 23" and I cannot think of a more perfect combination. Easy to carry, but not so light as to be brutal in recoil. I think a #4 contour in 9.3 would be fine at 23", but maybe just a CH on the heavy side(if your going to be doing a lot of hiking). Whatever you choose, I would like to see the finished product.

Posts: 206 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a spare Oberndorf made 98k action

What a shit problem to have!

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't actually have that problem anymore as I traded the gun to a friend for a nice VZ-24 action. I just could not take the barrel off of the donor action. I did steal the stock, but that was really why I bought that gun.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I have two custom 9.3's, a Dave Norin and a Dane Burns/Mike Kizler rifle. They both have 24" barrels. I am 6'4" and the longer barrels balance better for me...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I can highly recommend the Lothar Walther barrel. I have been useing their barrels ever since they set up shop in the U.S. I have NEVER had any problem with machinability. The key is in useing the correct coolant. I like Tap Magic. Yes they are tougher barrels than others therefore they last the CUSTOMER a hell of a lot longer than others. I could care less that I might need to have a reamer sharpened a tad more often. Reamers are CONSUMABLE tooling as far as I am concerned. I want my customers barrel to serve them for many many years. Any gunsmith who is MORE concerned about his reamer than YOUR barrel quality is in the wrong mindset. Just keep in mind that not all gunsmith are also machinest that's probably why they are not more knowledgeable about machining more exotic high quality metals.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote