Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted
Comparing this:

Stiller precision Predator action
http://www.viperactions.com/

with this:

Surgeon Rifles RSR Action
http://www.surgeonrifles.com/p...ducts&product_id=179

They are both Rem700 clones, they are both repeaters.

Wondering if anyone on here has first hand experience with either one or both?

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the Stiller Predator actions and found them to be of good quality. I have no experience with the Surgeon products.

Often, using one action or the other is less a question of differences in quality or features. Simple availability may dictate the choice. There are an awful lot of "vapour ware" actions advertized...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW I should receive a Pierce action this week, another Rem 700 SA clone.
I've not used one before so can't commment on the quality vs the actions mentioned by the OP but they have a good reputation. My GS has a rifle he built on one and recommended I try it.

And delivery was 3 weeks :-)

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might check the other thread touching on this. I have built 2 on Predators and they are a top quality receiver. I have one Pierce and I really like it. It is made of CM and has more subtle lettering on it.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really wasn't that impressed with the one Surgeon action that I used on a build for a customer. The finish was less than impressive. On the other hand I haven't used a Stiller Predator but think the port is ugly, but the finish looks good. So, to each his own I suppose. Off the question again, but I understand that the Pierce is a good action too as well as the Defiance (which I have used and own) which is being made by Glenn Harrison who started Nesika Bay a few years back before selling out to Dakota. Several other good Remington footprint actions out there if that's what you're looking for.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 829 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nomo4me:
FWIW I should receive a Pierce action this week, another Rem 700 SA clone.
I've not used one before so can't commment on the quality vs the actions mentioned by the OP but they have a good reputation. My GS has a rifle he built on one and recommended I try it.

And delivery was 3 weeks :-)

Another interesting option.....there doesn't seem to be a lot of differences between the 3 actions mentioned, other than the surgeon has 2 pins on the recoil lug, the Peirce has one, and the Predator appears to only have one. Tolerances are all very precise, so as mho mentioned, it just may come down to availability.

Thanks for the replys guys!

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sure wouldn't let the number of pins in the recoil lug enter in my decision. Wouldn't even care if it didn't have one. All they do is locate the lug.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had the good fortune to work with most of the custom Remington clone actions, and all of them are pretty darn good. I personally own a Nesika and a Surgeon. The Nesika (an older one) feels like a swiss watch. the Surgeon is definitely more utilitarian, but was dead straight and very well made.

i seem to recall a conversation with the Surgeon folks where they indicated that they kept the clearances (not tolerances) a little greater on their actions to ensure reliability in dirty conditions. This seems to bear out in my case, as the Nesika will lock up tighter than a bank vault with not much dust, while the Surgeon will keep on ticking.

Stiller actions are really nice, if you can get past the aesthetics. I don't care for the loading port design myself.

Jim Borden makes a very nice action, as does Barney Lawton.

BAT actions are bad ass. Just had a Pierce come through, and it seemed very well made.

There have been a couple others that slip my mind at the moment, but the bottom line is that all of the custom actions I've had the pleasure of working on have been great. Probably testament to the fact that each of the makers started out trying to create the better mousetrap whereas Remington's goal is to make a cheaper mousetrap (not that there is anything wrong with that).

I'm actually kind of surprised at the quality available at the price some of the custom action makers charge. All of them are a heck of a bargain when compared with the work it takes to get a Remington to the same level.

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Shhhhhhhhh !!!!

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The bolt handle is part of the bolt on the Surgeon action and the tolerances are tighter on the Surgeon target actions.

Glenn

Posts: 70 | Location: Ok. | Registered: 29 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Mr Glenn, We are talking hunting rifles.

posted Hide Post
Butch - how is your back doing?

The bolt handle is part of the bolt on the Surgeon and the tolerances are tighter on the surgeon target actions..

Glenn

Glenn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doing fine, thank you. Is it nice

and warm in my home state yet?
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jim Borden makes a very nice action, as does Barney Lawton.

I'm glad you posted about the Borden actions, I was able to find a rifle maker up here in Canada that imports and builds rifles on these actions, he actually builds them with most of the components I was looking at for a pretty decent price, $3150 CDN

quote:
BAT actions are bad ass.

From what I've seen of BAT actions, yes, super bad ass, but cost mucho dinero! shocker Outta my price range.....maybe someday though!

Again, thanks for the replys and comments fellas. wave

CK82

posted Hide Post
Butch
You have a private message

Glenn

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one Surgeon, had two. My hunting partner took my 270 and won't let me have it back--I've considered it his Christmas gift for several years though, so it's OK. Damn fine rifles, and actions. I bought complete rifles, came in McMillan stocks, Krieger barrels, Jewell triggers. Shot awesome from the get go.

My friend has since bought a heavy barrel target in 308, unreal how tight that thing shoots.

Actions took several thousand cycles to 'slick' up really well, but always functioned great and performed flawlessly. I am a fan of Preston's products.

Here's my 308, I really like the integral Picatinny rail......

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
I've handled and shot Borden's stuff and like it very much. A friend that has one is considering selling his in 300 WSM and I might just buy it.

I had Chris Matthews of LongShot Rifles http://www.longshotriflesllc.com/ build my 6.5x47 on a Surgeon 591 SA last December and I really appreciate the work Surgeon puts into their actions.

I like the 6.5x47 so much I decided to have Chris build me a light hunting rifle in 6.5x47. Chris suggested a Pierce SA repeater and that's what I have on order. When I talked to Tim North of Broughton barrels to order my 6.5 barrel for the new rifle he asked what action and when I told him about the Pierce he gave a very enthusiastic approval of the Pierce. The light hitting, ultra fast firing pin system is supposed to fantastic.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
I have only used a Stiller Predator. It is a very good action. To get a Rem 700 to the same level you have about the same money. I don't mind the port shape it's just different, but works well. As the man that taught me gunsmithing said, "Beauty is as beauty does"

Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Out of the Box Tikka T3 shooting Hornady 308 winchester 150 grain SST

Custom enough? jumping

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3046 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And your point is?

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
And your point is?

You don't have to spend $$$ to get a shooter

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3046 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Send me a target that has 5 bulls with 5 shots on ea.at 100yds and then I will be impressed. What does that measure 1.00"?
Butch

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I don't think the animal would know the difference.

Long range shooting competition, definitely agree.