New
Find
Notify
Tools

Progress on a Couple of Fronts
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Finally making a little progress on a couple of fronts. I have way too many projects underway, and have decided to try an get a few finished. I am still working on a full custom No 1 in 300H&H, a 7mm sporter, a 416 Taylor, a 280 AI Mauser, a cutom Model 94 with a lot of changes, a 6.5x55 Mannlicher M98, a 218 Bee on a converted shotgun action. a 425 Westley Richards M98, a restock of a 450/400 No 1, a 458 M98 and the following two. They are the Springfield 03 in 240 Weatherby I have been trying to finish and a restock of a No 1 in 9.3x74.

Pictures aren't great, but here's the Springfield. It's stocked in English with ebony forend and grip, half octagon and half round barrel with express sights, low safety, Timney trigger and a M70 style bolt with engine turning. I have sealed the stock so I can shoot it before final finish. I still need to put on the top finish and checker.

Heres the restock I am doing on the 9.3. I still need to have the checkering done. It's an interesting piece of Turkish I bought on eBay and had shipped over. Not everybody's cup of tea, but I like it, and the landed cost of the blank was something like $225.

This is one stock I think the checkering will really add to the stock, since it will help tend to tie the grip and butt areas together.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd be interested to know why someone would not like the restock on the #1. I think it's breathtaking and I usually prefer moderately plain wood. So it's "my cup of tea" ........

Posts: 50 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 15 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ramsgate:
I'd be interested to know why someone would not like the restock on the #1. I think it's breathtaking and I usually prefer moderately plain wood. So it's "my cup of tea" ........

I think the wood is interesting, but I prefer a stock with consistent coloration/figure.

It does look like top notch work.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I think both stocks look great. I am going to say I fall into the crowd that likes the wood on your No. 1. Reminds me of when you pour cream into a nice dark cup of coffee (although the colors are reversed in this case).

Excellent craftsmanship, sure wish I could shape a stock to come out like those. So, where's the photos of the other customs you've been working on? Big Grin

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote