Find
Notify
Tools

.257 Wthby project
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
posted 21 September 2013 23:33
Hey guys, I want to replace my .257 that I lost in a divorce, but I want to build this one. I can't afford a custom rifle, so here are some Ideas I have. I want a light mountain rifle.

Looking at a Titanium action
-seem to run $1200ish
-Hart, Schillen, Douglas or Lilja barrel
26" stainless medium taper (#3 contour)
1-10" twist
-seem to run $400ish
-McMillian/HS Precision stock
-$400-$500

Here's where my initial thoughts are. Any input would be great!

Thanks .....Gino

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure how light it will be with a 26" #3 barrel, but it ought to be a shooter.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
I agree on the barrel contour. It would result in a forward balancing rifle.

If you want lightweight look at the McMillan lightweight series, combined with a smaller contour to make it balance in the hands better.
Titanium mounts and rings would add to the effect with as small a scope as you can get away with.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1021 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It doesn't have to be a 5 pound rifle, but 8.5 or so would be great. I'd rather lug a heavier scope to have quality optic than skimp. I did see the McMillian lightweight, it looks great. Do y'all know what an average is for a gunsmith to glue it all together?

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
I'm just a tad confused...why bother with a ti-action in an 8.5# rifle? Ti actions really are the basis for shaving minimal ounces off an ultralight.

It just seems to me that you could save a boatload of money going with a decent steel action. Heck, even doing a bit of a lightening job wouldn't be that expensive.

Just curious really.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Robert,

hanks for the input. I'm not set on anything, just trying get some ideas. I've been looking at Red Hawk rifles in CO. Maybe I need to that route.....I dunno.

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
PM sent

682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1021 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,
I'm putting together components for an ultra light rifle. Aluminum bases and rings are light enough. Hardly any savings of weight using high priced Titanium for this.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
I agree, shouldnt have even mentioned it. In fact your really only saving a few ounces. all your main weight savings is still in the barrel, stock, and action/bottom metal. For handling purposes a lighter scope helps.

682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,
I have not given a great deal of thought yet on a scope. Mine will be a 280AI. First thoughts are a 2 1/2X8 Leupold or a 6X Leupold. I use and prefer European scopes, but they are a little heavy for this project.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote