THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Need help on caliber for new single shot custom
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help on caliber for new single shot custom
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Posted this in the Single Shot forum, but this forum gets a lot of views -

So, what caliber would you select for a nice custom on a Hagn action?

Caveat - like to keep it between .222 Rem and .308 Win.

Will be used for deer, antelope, fun shooting....

What would you build?

Posts: 10169 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
7x65R... or 9.3x74R but that is bigger than you are wanting to build.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7531 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been contemplating a build as well. 7x57R is what I would likely choose.

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have some brass for a 7x75 R super express
That should make an interesting single shot ..

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1294 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Krieghoff combination gun with a 7X75R SE vom Hofe as the rifle caliber. I have a full length insert barrel in 6X52R Brettschneider for the shot barrel, making it a sort of Bergstutzen. It gives me a useful selection of calibers for both long and short range shots on deer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Given your parameters, I’d choose the 280 Rem.

Posts: 2591 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WVFred
posted Hide Post
Not a classic caliber but I think a 6.5 Grendel would be perfect in a light trim single shot!

DRSS Member

Posts: 901 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would do a 6.5x57, likely the rimmed version if possible.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ross, don't go too big in a svelte, lightweight single.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just finished a pair of rifles built on new Fraser actions and Krieger barrels. Cartridge for both is 7x65R. Accuracy of both hand loads and Norma factory ammo has been superb. Recoil is negligible even with steel butt plates. Ballistics are impressive, and the last time I checked, reloading components and ammunition for the 7x65R were more plentiful than for the 7x57R or 6.5x57R.

Posts: 475 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An uninformed questioned - why a rimmed cartridge?

Posts: 10169 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
6x45 or 6.5 Grendel makes for a nice all purpose walking rifle in a Hagn

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
An uninformed questioned - why a rimmed cartridge?

Because they work wonderfully in single shots and double rifles where you don’t have to worry about feeding being an issue. It’s just a classic and classy way to go for fine rifles like that.

There’s a lot of great options that have been listed so far. One I’ve always wanted to do in a custom like that or in a Dakota model 10 that I’ve thought would be a lot of fun is a 7-30 Waters.

Posts: 291 | Location: Coweta Oklahoma  | Registered: 08 January 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I would echo the 7x65R or 6.5x57R. I have a 7x65R and have played with the rimless 6.5x57 and they perform outstandingly. If you want something really different go with the 7x75R Van Hoff, basically a rimmed 7mm Magnum.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the 7-30 waters. Although it's not a "classic "

One of Us
posted Hide Post
.25 Krag

Posts: 331 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
Honestly, if you wanted to build a custom rifle two things to consider in my opinion:

1) build something you hand load for. I would not build a rifle chambered in a cartridge that you can purchase ammo for right off the shelf at Walmart.

2) Have you thought about a 257 DGR? It's a 260 Remington necked to a 257 with a 35 degree shoulder.

Posts: 606 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
7X57R in a one to 9 twist or 8.5 for those heavier 175 grainers. Nothing wrong with the rimless 7X57 either. Mark the barrel .275 Rigby or Rigby's .275?

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5116 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it were me, I would choose a rimmed cartridge to make extraction easier. You mention 222 and up, I would consider a 220 Swift with a tighter twist to handle some of the heavier, thicker jacketed bullets available and if selected properly, these can be very effective on Deer and Antelope. The single shot action lends itself to a longer barrel and I've had 25" one's that look quite nice especially with a barrel mounted swivel band. The longer length really helps the Swift. This is an old classic which doesn't have to be driven all that hot and will do what you want. Good luck with whatever you decide on but make sure to select the right stockmaker for such a wonderful project...

Edward Lundberg

Posts: 337 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
303 British, classic caliber, seriously, will do 90% of NA game. With a 150 gr. bullet at around 2700 or a bit more, being in a strong modern action, should be a 400 yd. rifle for antelope.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another consideration might be the 25 Krag AI. Hard to beat the .25 as an all round caliber.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 827 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good point on the 303 brit. Another is the 30-40 Krag same can be said for it and it's american lol

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Do you handload ammunition?

Posts: 1213 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been asked on the SS forum but no answer. Lots of handload only suggestions and some with lots of work to get shooting.

Posts: 1133 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Reverend Recoil
posted Hide Post
How about a SS rifle in 7.62x54R?

DR #2276, P-100 2021

One of Us
posted Hide Post
280 Ackley or 257 Weatherby

Posts: 389 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You haven't mentioned which action size you have? Last I heard Hagn actions were made in 4 different sizes; Magnum, Large (original size) Small and Mini. Martin Hagn may have added others?

(Or this may be another I Dream of Genie post?)

Also, unlike many single shot actions the Hagn was designed to extract either rimmed or rimless cartridges and it might be wise to take advantage of the mosty superior rimless group.

I have built several rifles on Large and Small sizes with cartridges appropriate to the action size.
This one a 6.5x55 on a small action (my favorite deer rifle size).

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1789 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are correct. Hagn makes four sizes.
I am getting the correct size for caliber.
Much thanks for all of the help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:
Do you handload ammunition?

No, but I have a guy that is a serious custom loader and he is taking care of my ammo needs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You need to pick your caliber, not someone elses favorite..I would probably use a 250-3000 but I would also choose a Ruger #1. I suppose some feel the need for a rimmed cartridge in which case a 257/Krag IMP would do for deer and elk and any varmint..but I would consider a 300 H&H if I intended to hunt elk and up..at least today, who knows about tomarrow!! hammering

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5x55 or 270 Winchester would be my choice, based on your guidelines.

I have a Hagn (actually two - one is a take down version) in 300H&H, which would still be my first choice.

Posts: 223 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogersGunWorks:
I just finished a pair of rifles built on new Fraser actions and Krieger barrels. Cartridge for both is 7x65R. Accuracy of both hand loads and Norma factory ammo has been superb. Recoil is negligible even with steel butt plates. Ballistics are impressive, and the last time I checked, reloading components and ammunition for the 7x65R were more plentiful than for the 7x57R or 6.5x57R.

This is what I would choose too.
Don't agree the chosen cartridge should be a 'wildcat' with handloading only, the OP may have a custom loader now but what happens if something happens to him or the relationship turns sour, or for that matter something happens to the OP and the rifle is passed on.

The 7x65R is a somewhat classic cartridge for singles or drillings etc., with the option of factory and handloaded ammunition.

Posts: 3858 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_TX:
6.5x55 or 270 Winchester would be my choice, based on your guidelines.

I have a Hagn (actually two - one is a take down version) in 300H&H, which would still be my first choice.

Mike,
Thanks, I like your thinking. I am pretty settled on a 7x57, but the 6.5 Swede and .270 were next.
For a smaller caliber, I am settled on a .223. I like a variety of small calibers but this one creates versatility in bullet weights and types. I nearly went with a .222 Rem but have a Blaser that shoots that round very well. I nearly went with a .243, but it is a "tweener". It is between the .223 and the .25.06 or 257 Robert.

Anyway, I am addicted to the single shots and will try a few more as I move forward.

Thanks all!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also have a Hagn in .223 - it’s built on the smallest action. However, it wouldn't be my first choice as they are kind of limited in the all-around department.

Posts: 223 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gosh, that Diane Scalese does absolutely beautiful work!!

KJK

Posts: 681 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would add another vote for the 7x65R. A wonderfully versatile calibre. It can launch a slippery 140 or 150 gn bullet mimicking the 270win. Or a large 173gn for bigger tough animal in the same way as a 30-06.

And being rimmed it gives very certain extraction in a falling block or break action single shot.

The 7x57R is also good, but smaller case gives less velocity especially with bigger bullets.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I would go with a 7x65R. I have one and am happy with it.

Posts: 6 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 14 December 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3030 hands down. it just works with lots of weight bullets.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the 7x57mmR or .275 Flanged.

Single shots were made, for good reason, for rimmed, or as our English friends say, flanged, cartridges.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
A falling block is not a kiplauf. Rimmed cartridges are nice to have but not mandatory.

I'd buy a 7x57 as well. No need for the 7x57R BS. Sure there is 7mm Rimmed Mauser ammo available, but not at every drug store and filling station.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote