Find
Notify
Tools

KAR 98 Small Ring custom
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted
I haven't seen many of these built into customs, but it looks like I'll be picking up a Erfurt 1920 SR soon. The last one i saw was built into a 250Sav with full length stock. Very light, very agile. Anyone have a KAR98 custom they'd like to show off?

Adam

Ammo, you always need more.

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
No. Erfurt 1919-1922. Commercial 8mm. I have 2 pdfs on the k98 k98a

Posts: 6401 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
http://www.gunsamerica.com/941...ernational-Stock.htm

This is one I found through my carousing of the net. It's similar to the one I had handled.

Adam

Ammo, you always need more.

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 8x57.

Posts: 1574 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the things about them, or so I have been told by people who claim to know, is that the steel in the front ring is very thin. I wouldn't know if that was a problem or not.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have read the same and have also seen 270 WCF's built by fairly well known 'smiths for sale. I am comfortable with my 8x57 throwing 180 gr BT's at 2650 fps. Worked in Africa.

Posts: 1574 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Richj,

Thanks for the photo of the KAR 98 Small Ring Mauser. Very nice rifle.

Do you mind me printing this?

The stock is exactly what I had in mind for my 300 Savage Mini-Mauser build.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
go ahead. please post a pic when you can.

Posts: 6401 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Richj,

Will do.

Thx.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen them in 6mm and 270.
Would re heat treating let them be used in 270 etc. without worry of lug setback?

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Several members had suggested that lug set-back could be an issue when I had my 1916 Erfurt customized a couple years ago. After much contemplation, I first considered the fact that the Germans produced over a million (give or take) of these in 8X57 IS, I felt like my 6.5 Creedmoor round was a safe bet.
If someone has evidence of lug setback, I would appreciate sharing this information.
One thing worth mentioning is the rails were not very smooth as other Mausers of that general era.

Here are ballpark energy levels with average factory loads according to Wikep..

8X57 .323 4000 joules
.270 3500 "
6.5 CM 3300 "

Here you go Adam.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5119 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No one has mentioned it in this thread, but isn't the Kar98 a large shank - small ring action?

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Yes they are large ring threads. I've heard many folks say this is a dangerous situation because of the thinner wall of the small ring when mated to a large ring barrel. Numerous searches have not turned up one instance of Kar98 failure or have found anyone who has tested the Kar98 to see what its' limits are.
I am inclined to believe that the barrel itself takes a large percentage if not all of the pressure, not the ring itself. So, a larger barrel shank would suggest more strength in the critical area surrounding the cartridge than small threads. In addition, chambers continue well past the threads so total pressure is not confined only to the shank area itself.

Anyone have picture of a failure in a Kar98 small ring 98 Mauser? Please share.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5119 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote