New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oberndorf magnum 98 actions?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am aware that there are now several sources for magnum 98 style actions. However, is there anyone now making an exact copy of the pre-war Oberndorf magnum action? Granite Mountain and Satterlee's actions are not true to the Oberndorf. Prechtl's look very similar to the Oberndorf, but I've not heard if they are dimentionaly identical. The only other source that I am aware of is Ritterbusch, but I know nothing about them, or even if they offer actions to the trade. I think the original single square bridge Oberndorf magnum action (with the left wall cut-out and clip slot) is the coolest of all the magnum actions ever made. I wish someone on this side of the pond made an accurate reproduction. You can argue that GMA and Satterlee offer a "better" design, but they just don't really do it for me. I forgot about the Vector action. I know nothing about them either. Someone please enlighten me. Thanks.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vektor Magnum 98 actions were made by a State-owned arms manufacturer in Pretoria here in SA. They have been out of production for some time now and won't be made again in future either as the machinery used for their manufacture was sold by the company some time ago.

They were not exact copies of the original Mauser either, by the way.

Posts: 390 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that the Prechtl action is made from a set of Mauser 1936 drawings and is only different from a pre-WWII Mauser in a few ways. They do not have the 'thumb cut' though, and his rifles come with a three position saftey.

I have a Prechtl in .416 Rigby and the metal work is fantastic.

From Gottfried Prechtl's website:

We manufacture the Mauser M 98 standard action due to the original drawing of Paul Mauser from the early thirties. All MAUSER patents are considered.

We made the following modernizations :

We reduced the bore for the firing pin from 2mm to 1,7mm because of to take into consideration the higher gas pressure of modern cartidges.
We extended the external diameter of the bolt about 0,2mm.
For to guarantee an excellent bolt slide, we reduced the stipulated case tolerance of the bolt about 50%.
We extended the clearance of the magazine opening of the breech case about 1mm for to have space enough for high volume cartridges. Because of this we had also the possibility to enlarge the magazine box.

The magazine box is available in the MAUSER standard sizes and original MAUSER 9,3x62 size - allongated about 1,5mm. Therefore also large cartridges like .300 Win.Mag. 8x68S, 9,3X64 have space enough and it is not necessary to machine the magazine boxes. The large box has an internal length of 86,5mm. We deliver the magazine boxes with fitted in magazine cover which can be opened by the snapper in the trigger guard. On it’s back the magazine cover is as long as it can be centred by the trigger guard.

For to guarantee a higher safety of the spring, the extractor is allongated about 17mm.
The firing pin nut is delivered with close nose. Therefore also modern shotgun triggers can be installed.
Due to the design of the latest original MAUSER civil versions, we made a stud on the backside of the clearance for the bolt handle which serves as an additional guide and safety for the chamber.

http://www.golmatic.de/Waffen_...waffen_en/m98_en.htm

NECG imports the actions and rifles and could tell you more. I talked to them at the Dallas Safari club convention.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lon Paul is restoring a Rigby Magnum Mauser take-down in 350 Rigby Mag on which the receiver was damaged. Apparently the only action that will fit in the same inletted "footprint" of the original is a Prechtl.

Posts: 20084 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info, fella's.

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

Vektor in SA used to make an almost an identical copy of the original Oberndorf double square bridge Magnum Mauser action, but with the following improvements:-

* The receiver ring has been lengthened to provide 1,8 mm more barrel/receiver thread interface for increased rigidity and stability.

* The recoil lug has been shifted 7.5 mm further forward on the receiver ring to allow a greater thickness of wood behind it, which strengthens the stock against the heavy recoiling calibers.

* The anti-binding rail in the right-hand race-way has been thickened from 0.5 mm to 1.57 mm to allow contact with the extractor, which provides smoother and more stable bolt movement.

* The bolt has been beefed up slightly to accommodate big case heads such as the .505 Gibbs.

* It will also have a side safety on the bolt shroud to facilitate scoped use, but the bolt shroud itself remains as per the original design.

* Naturally, the steel used is superior to the original Mauser which is a fine grained and very tough steel. The action is made from EN24 Conditioned T .... machined from solid bar stock .... hardened to 36 - 38 Rockwell C, whilst the bolt is machined from bar stock ... EN36 Conditioned T ... the core is hardened to 34 - 36 Rockwell C for tensile strength and the outer surface to 55 Rockwell C for durability and slickness of operation.

* The firing pin is made of stainless steel.

Warrior

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, who is making the actions for the MAUSER company?

http://www.mauser.com/M98-Magnum.342.0.html?&L=1

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe Prechtl is making the Mauser companies actions, and perhaps the whole rifle. In the rifle gallery, on Prechtl's website, some of the rifles have the Mauser logo on the front ring, or on the barrel.
I wonder who makes Reimer Johannsen's actions, and how close they are to the original? I forgot to mention Hartman and Weiss makes action, but again, I don't know anything about them.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prechtl makes all of the actions for Mauser and I believe complete rifles for mauser as well. Pretty sure Prechtl makes actions for several others too.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Vektor sold their machinery to Kjell Tonheim in Norway. He still sells actions and should be at the SHOT show this year.

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mehul,

Vektor only sold part (a relatively small part, in fact) of their machinery to Kjell Tonheim. The lion's share of the machinery is now with a gunmaker in Pretoria who will be offering Mauser actions of his own shortly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
jvw375

Thank you for the correction. Would you know when the gunmaker in question is going to start offering the actions? And whether he has a website?

I have been following some of the South African gunmakers who have a web presence, and there is some amazing stuff coming out of the country. Thanks for the information in advance and good hunting!

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mehul,

The gunmaker in question is at present setting up the machinery but I don't know when the first action will be forthcoming. He does not have a website, unfortunately.

Vektor sold the machines "as is", so my mate had to reprogram and redo the setup of everything, which is the main hold-up.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Vektor

Prechtl

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post

This is my Prechtl Mauser 100 year anniversary model - I like it alllooottt..

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have examined several of the new Mauser actions being imported by Roger Green, Evansville, WY.

These are a throwback to the 1930's! The C ring is sort of interrupted to allow the bolt face to more support to an extracted case...the extractor is a little longer to give an easier "ramp" for single loading.

They are made with standard guard screw hole spacing and there's a relief in the ring for extractor to snap over a single loaded round.

In short..these are the best example I've seen. Also offered is standard 98 and a Kurtz..and...left hand in all configurations.

There's lots of options and delivery is around 90 days.

They come imported without heat treating...a good move in my opinion, easily reworked, then send off to Pacific Metalurgery.

There's no financial reward for me in this notice, just my contribution of information...price is competitive with all other offerings

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane,

Who manufactures these Mausers? A new firm...?

Best,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt
I'm going to try one of these next
www.fzh-gmbh.de

D'Arcy Echols

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Matt
I'm going to try one of these next
www.fzh-gmbh.de

D'Arcy Echols

I took Latin in high school, dont think German was even avilable. Nice looking actions, didnt see a price. Is this, if you have to ask you cant afford it?

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In line with Prechtl etc. Ballpark of Euro 2500-3000.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
In line with Prechtl etc. Ballpark of Euro 2500-3000.

Thank You!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Digging around on the site www.fzh-gmbh.de

I found that they also make a left-handed 98 action http://www.fzh-gmbh.de/root/fzh-ws.pdf

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kurtv:
Digging around on the site www.fzh-gmbh.de

I found that they also make a left-handed 98 action http://www.fzh-gmbh.de/root/fzh-ws.pdf

Are these the ones that are imported by Roger Green?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Does Roger have a website?

All I could find was a web page regarding German hunting dogs....

Best,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DavidC:
Does Roger have a website?

All I could find was a web page regarding German hunting dogs....

Best,
Dave

www.rogermgreen.com/gunmaker/index.php

Matt
FISH!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Matt...!

Best,
Dave