New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swift Blackburn bottom metal
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm building a couple of Mauser rifles in 30-06 and 9.3x62. I'm looking for opinions on the Swift Blackburn bottom metal. Anyone purchased any units recently and care to comment on the quality and/or experience of dealing with Swift? I'm looking at the model 22 small Oberndorf guard bow units. Is model 22 correct for a 9.3x62?

thanks for any help

-stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Swift on my last 4 or 5 custom rifles..mostly on magnum rifles. They are excellent IMO..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41926 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

I've dealt with two different pieces of bottom metal from them over the last two years. Neither made it into the rifle they were purchased for. I'm hoping they'll get things a little more fine tuned but until then I prefer Sunny Hill.

Posts: 581 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
...why not consider using a 1909 Argentine unit. Polish it up, add a button release and a straddle floorplate, and you will essentially have an Oberndorf style unit for considerably less...

That is precisely what I plan to do. Where can I find a straddle floorplate? Also, does anybody make a release lever as pictured? I could make one, but easier to start with something like that.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 1909 will need to be opened up in length. I like Duane Weibe's.

Posts: 426 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montea6b:
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
...why not consider using a 1909 Argentine unit. Polish it up, add a button release and a straddle floorplate, and you will essentially have an Oberndorf style unit for considerably less...

That is precisely what I plan to do. Where can I find a straddle floorplate? Also, does anybody make a release lever as pictured? I could make one, but easier to start with something like that.

Wisner's for it all but they need a bit of fitting.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim!

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think lindy2 has a hard-on for Swift/Blackburn; I just took delivery on two units and they are nice

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a large Oberndorf bow unit for an Oberndorf magnum Mauser 416 Rigby. I wish they made the large bow unit for standard mag calibers, as well.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3290 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
I think lindy2 has a hard-on for Swift/Blackburn; I just took delivery on two units and they are nice

I haven't seen one since Ted sold. Mind snapping a pic?
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are as nice as Ted's but the two that I just got did not have the trigger bow profiled, took a bit of work to do it. Normally they come profiled, CNC style and still needed some woprk but not as much. You may be able to specify the profiling when you order but will cost a bit more.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So the bows are finished as the pics above?
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Markey:
So the bows are finished as the pics above?
Don

No, not even that much. I have received bottom metal from the original Ted Blackburn and it was as rough as those above. For extra money, he would make it more pleasiong to the eye.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last one I received from Swift looked like the above. Quick and easy to finish though, very light file work and then on to emery cloth.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem I had wasn't as much with the rough finish on the trigger bow (though that's not great) but with the box. .030 wide on one side and razor thin on the other. The second pic depicts this well.

Posts: 581 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNR:
The problem I had wasn't as much with the rough finish on the trigger bow (though that's not great) but with the box. .030 wide on one side and razor thin on the other. The second pic depicts this well.

I noticed that...seen the same thing come off my machine. These parts are not a slam dunk to make. I'm sure they would be anxious to replace it

Posts: 3485 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
quote:
Originally posted by MNR:

I noticed that...seen the same thing come off my machine. These parts are not a slam dunk to make. I'm sure they would be anxious to replace it

Agreed. Though the bottom metal I've received from you or Andy have been as close to perfect as my eye can tell and I've had multiple quality control issues with Swift's. I'm sure they'll get things figured out down the road if they haven't already.