THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    How can I clean up a little rust?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How can I clean up a little rust?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted
Well, I went and shit the bed! Frowner

Rained hard Saturday morning in Minnesota; should have known better than to trust the bed tux roll top. Should have checked the gun-cases before the drive home. As it is, 14 hours in a wet case w/vibration really does bad things to blued steel! Live and Learn! Mad

So, I need to clean up some rust. There, I went and said it! Nothing too bad, but frustrating.

I went over the gun quickly Saturday night with an old kitchen dish pad (nothing more than soft, slightly abrasive plastic). That got off most of the rust. Gun is now dry.

Where should I go from here?

Vibration rubbed off a little bluing at the muzzle/magazine end (Marlin lever action 30-30).

It's not a particularly valuable gun, but it was in very good shape before I pulled a HOMER!

Oh, did I mention it belongs to my father - don't tell him, please! shocker

So, any help/advice is much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Get some 3/00 or 4/00 fine steel wool at the hardware store and some WD40. Spray it and rub it out, the fine wool will not damage the bluing and will take lite rust off. Use long strokes, try not to concentrate too hard in one area. Works like a charm!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
thanks lee!

I see there's also a thread in the Gunsmithing forum.

I appreciate the help!

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
Get some 3/00 or 4/00 fine steel wool at the hardware store and some WD40. Spray it and rub it out, the fine wool will not damage the bluing and will take lite rust off. Use long strokes, try not to concentrate too hard in one area. Works like a charm!

+1

I've done this on shotguns used in wet weather waterfowl hunting that didn't get dried in time to prevent rusting a little.

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brownells Oxpho-Blue. Remove the metal from the stock. Heat with flame or heat gun, I once used a gas BBQ grille, until it is just about too hot to hold but not so hot it instantly evaporates the Oxpho when you apply it. Just apply it over the existing bluing with 0000 steel wool. No need to prepare the surface, just heat the metal and apply the Oxpho according to instructions. Don't rush it, give the solution the full 2 minutes to work and keep it wet. Remember eye and body protection. Do this in a well ventilated area. Do not do this in the kitchen.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the weapon is not pitted, Kroil and a piece of burlap will remove surface rust without damage to the blue.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One standard method of bluing is called rust-bluing. It is done by first creating a fine (unpitted) rust on the metal surface, then the rusted metal is subjected to very hot or boiling water.
You could pour boiling water onto the rust and it will convert to blue, then lightly buff back to proper finish.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do exactly what Lee440 sugested. Works well!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote