3 Pos safety-Jim Kobe
Custom bolt handle-Dan Armstrong
Action squared and barrel threads single point threaded to clean up-Gene Davis
Special Bartlien barrel with 8 groove, left hand twist, and gain twist
A very beautiful chambering job-Gene Davis
Custom scope bases-Jim Kobe
Roger Vardy Walnut
Stock by Jim Kobe

I wish I had taken a photo of the barreled receiver. It of course be Rust Blued, but I guess I will have to Melonite the SS barrel to try to match the rust blue.
Below is the scope. It was the prototype of a 3 scope run in the Remington Custom Shop in the 70s. Only 3 internally adjustable scopes were produced. I have one and also the prototype. The one scope is on my Tincan shooter. This one will be on my Turtle rifle that I'm building now.
This is the prototype

This is the one on my Tincan shooter.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice hunk of wood. Keep us up to date on the progress please. Looking forward to it.

Dick Wright

Posts: 669 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 27 March 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch,

Great project.......beautiful wood!!

I'll be watch'in.

Kevin

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why gain twist, and what is the starting and ending twist rate? I've seen these barrels and always thought it was a good idea. Other than the .500 Smith and Wesson, it doesn't seem to be used.

If I missed it, I apologize, but what cartridge is it chambered for?

Sweet looking walnut. Keep the photos rolling please!!

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the other end of the spectrum, my 40X .22 lr three position rifle, with a Schneider barrel and Jewell trigger and Redfield International sights, installed in the trued action by George Fullmer and stocked with a McMillan modified ISU stock, with adjustable buttplate and cheekpiece, duplicating my .308 Winchester Model 70 across the course gun. Used for indoor practice in the off season.

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Please remember me at Christmas or in your will if you are so inclined. Is adoption out of the question?

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
I have two gain twist barreled rifles. One is a 6.5 Carcano and the other is a Kerr .451. The Kerr is actually straight rifled for about 1/3, gain twist for 1/3 and the final twist for 1/3. Very different.

Dave

Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RF(rimfire), Thanks for the interest. I think gaintwist is more popular with lead bullets. I've forgotten, but I think mine is 15.8 to 16.5. How do you lap a gaintwist barrel? I'll have to ask. Left the recoil lug off as I will be shooting sub sonic ammo.
This is my Tin can shooter below and my new Turtle Rifle will fit right with it.

The item in the muzzle is a fixture to hold the rifle while taking the photos.
Evan Koch did this stock. dpcd is rust bluing the custom bases for the completed Tincan shooter.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Very nice! What can do you use? I have a Gemtech that I really like.

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice rig, will you shoot rimfire benchest with it?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14421 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drhall762:
Very nice! What can do you use? I have a Gemtech that I really like.

I use it to shoot tin cans.
TomP, it is just a carry around rifle to shot cans, turtles, skunks, and other critters. We do have a lot of squirrels, but I only have 5 acres and don't shoot upwards as to not endanger my neighbors.
It would not be competitive with the BR rifles.

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Really nice stick of wood there, Jim will make a winner out of it.

Not a good time to be a turtle on your property...

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Evan, you do a nice job, both stocking my Tincan shooter and the only person that has fired it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch,

Nice tincan 40-X rifle!!

Here's a picture of one of my tincan rifles....a 40-X Sporter. Sorry for the lousy pic.

I'll have to look for a pic of my turtle rifle.

Kevin

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks nice Kevin.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That should be a beaut Butch.

I had a Yonkers Kimber K22 I've considered making into a full custom 22 rimfire.

Doug

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go for it!