New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom 22 build
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm thinking of building a 22 as a big bore trainer to get more practice with open sights. Which action would most of you prefer, a Rem 40x or a Springfield 1922 M2? Thanks.

Posts: 296 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i am having an m2 built right now. if you have an m2 you can sell it to me at a 24 hr. price and have $$$ to build the 40x. just saying!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the 1922s, have owned and built several. Pricey when compared to some 40Xs but worth it IMO from the beauty/appearance aspect.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
That's a toughie! Which larger bore rifle is it intended to train one to use?

If the big bore is a Model 70 CRF, I'd pick the M2 without hesitation.

On the other hand, if the big rifle is any model of Remington or similar tube-actioned clone, I'd probably take the 40-X.

P.S.: If it was just a .22 for my own use, and not to train me to use something else, accuracy is not the critical issue with me. I greatly prefer the looks and classic nostalgia of the M2, so for my own everyday .22, that's the one I would pick.

If I actually wanted the more accurate of the two, I'd search around and find one of the Remington 40-X Sporters in .22LR which Remington made as a special order run in 1973 for $1,000 each...which back then was a heap of money.

Every one of them sold out in advance, and when they arrived at their respective owners hands, the ones I saw appeared well worth the money. (They have only gone up in price since then.)

Other MMV, but that would be my choice, at least for now.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats why I bought a Kimber Classic 22. Full size and full weight, super accurate, just add open sights and you are good to go.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozark hunter:
I'm thinking of building a 22 as a big bore trainer to get more practice with open sights. Which action would most of you prefer, a Rem 40x or a Springfield 1922 M2? Thanks.

I am a fan of really nice 22 rifles. I think it is a shame that so few people truly appreciate a fine custom 22. Way too often I hear "it is a beautiful rifle - but I would never spend that kind of money on a 22". I take just the opposite view. I shoot more 22 ammo than all the rest combined. So if I am shooting that much why not have the rifle I shoot the most be something beautiful and a joy to shoot. Even shooting a few thousand 22 shells a year I am still spending less than what a couple boxes of classic big bore ammo costs.

I am currently building a "mini" express rifle on a Winchester 52. It will be a full size rifle not really built as a trainer though. But it will have quarter rib, banded front sight, and be stalked in a classic express rifle pattern stock. The wood is a piece of perfectly quarter sawn english. It is not fancy but has perfect layout with nice color and black streaks with some subtle fiddle back.

I would love to find one of the Banner Mauser marked Oberndorf built 22cal training rifles and build a nice full custom on that platform. you get the same safety, shroud and bolt release/ejector box as a 98 mauser in a slim trim little platform. If building a "trainer" to match your Mauser hunting rifle that would be the perfect platform.

The M2 would be hard to beat though!! They are sure are classy beautiful actions. And they make incredible custom rifles.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a mini-M98 and a full size M98 to match. I learned to shoot with the mini 60 years ago ! Big Grin Yes I was spoiled ! dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it's to be an understudy for a Mauser, I would seriously consider a MAS 45. They're still cheap enough to use as the basis for a custom gun without breaking the bank right out of the gate. Also, for some reason, magazines are plentiful and inexpensive.

That said, an M2 would be at the top of my list too. I'm glad I got mine for $200 (30 years ago), from the 'original' owner, or at least the guy who 'lunch box specialed' it during WWII. (Shhhh!)

Posts: 331 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I, also, am a big fan of the 22LR in a high-quality build. Have built several M2s, several of the original little Banner Mausers, several 52 Wins, MAS 45s etc and even helped out on a 40X build.

If you want a cute little rifle that's perhaps slightly too small to make a true understudy but will still shoot with the big dogs, it's hard to beat the original Mausers. However their action dimensions and especially their bolt handles are, IMO, too small and dainty to use as a true understudy platform. The MAS 45 is slightly larger and would IMO be a slightly better choice for the understudy. You can even occasionally find them with the Mauser Banner! Replacement triggers and low safeties can be a problem with the Mausers, though.

The most aesthetically-pleasing of the ones I've built? Dainty Mauser Banner repeater with mannlicher-style stock by Ed Shulin and metalwork by me.

Most accurate of the ones I've built? M2 std-size sporter.

Most accurate I've ever fired (by only a RCH, grin)? Custom 40X std-size sporter built by someone else.

I like the Kimber's looks but have no experience with them.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too love nice 22's The best one I've got right now is the CZ American. These rifles you are talking about, I am unfamiliar with some of them. What is the M2? A Mouser Banner? I would love to see some of the finished products. I believe for my choice a nice Anchutz sporter would do for me. Pictures please lets see what they look like. It might give me a bug to build one. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My "full size" 22 is a Remington 513 Sporter with a shortened 23 inch barrel. Most of the other 22s are too small to mimic a centerfire bolt action, even those that claim to be full size. But the 513S truly is the size it needs to be. There are a couple of features I wish were different--like the protruding clip and release--but I can live with those. The 513S guns are hard to find and expensive if in excellent condition, but they are a real gem if you need a full size 22 short of a full custom.

I also really like the Winchester Model 52 Sporters, but they too are not really full size--maybe only 85%. If I were going to build a custom 22 I'd buy a M52C Target and base it on that, maybe even turning down the original barrel a bit but still leaving it heavy enough to resemble a centerfire.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwheels:
These rifles you are talking about, I am unfamiliar with some of them. What is the M2?

M2 refers to the 1922 M2 Springfield, a true full-size understudy that will accept the aftermarket triggers and safeties/bolt sleeves made for the 1903s. They appear identical to the 1903s from the outside except for the slightly protruding magazine bottom and the uniquely-shaped bolt cocking piece.
Regards, Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know the prices are out of sight, but would like to find a 1922 Springfield or a M2 version.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just an " FYI ".. another " 1903 Clone "..

Savage NRA Model 19

Or possibly " Rem 513 T " for a custom make-over..

PAPI

Posts: 432 | Location: California | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses, I think I'm going to use my 40x for the build. Here's the link to the Springfield I was thinking about, since so many were interested in the M2. I just don't know enough about them to dive in. Thanks again.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=281641040

Posts: 296 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
M2 advantages: adjustable headspace, for all practical purposes equal in accuracy to the 40X, all 1903 parts will work, true full-size understudy for High-Power competition, traditional appearance is consistent with classic high-class high-dollar builds.

M2 disadvantages: poor factory trigger, relatively poor factory safety, fairly heavy, rare & expensive magazines, awkward scope mounting.

40X advantages: most accurate albeit by very little, great trigger and safety, easy scope mounting, full-size understudy.

40X disadvantages: magazines are problematic at best, fairly heavy, modern appearance is perhaps not the best candidate for a classic high-class high-dollar build.

Above is my opinion and as always YMMV.
Regards, Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The wartime barrel on that one would have had me a bit gun-shy about spending that kind of money, plus the fact that it's an M1 upgraded to M2. I know, beggars can't be choosers...!

Posts: 331 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Should also consider BRNO 1 or 2 or CZ 452 or the new CZ455. Solidly built, milled actions, and decent barrels that can be stocked to make a fine, full size, rifle.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote