New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fleur
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Enough talk about shipping, lets get back to discussing custom rifles. Here is a question for you guys that have been doing this for a while. (Duane) Fleur shape is one feature that can help identify a maker. While a particular maker may not always use the exact same shape, and many of them would change the shape over the years, it can still be a good indicator. A template was often used to lay out the fleur so provided they used the same template, the fleur would stay the same. The fleur in the photo is a bit unique in that it is kind of stumpy looking. Like a sumo wrestler fleur. Wide in the body, and no neck to speak of. Wondering if anyone might have an idea of whos hand it may be from. While you can not eliminate anyone based only on one feature, it does not look anything like the fleurs I have seen by Goens or Goudy or Brownell. Comb nose it all wrong for a Beisen. Balance of the rifle looks very typical of a 1970-80's custom rifle. Model 70, 338 mag. Very well executed.

Thanks, John

PS, I do not know the correct answer.

Posts: 551 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well...the SHAPE is Fisher....For a time Brownells was marketing templates with various fluer patterns

Posts: 3460 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe Balickie?

Posts: 291 | Location: Coweta Oklahoma  | Registered: 08 January 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Well...the SHAPE is Fisher....For a time Brownells was marketing templates with various fluer patterns

Thanks Duane. I did some googling, looks like Jerry changed his fleur style significantly over the years, but the later stuff did look very similar to the one above. Also noticed the majority of his rifles that I found have a point pattern.

John

Posts: 551 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote