THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    david miller 340 weatherby or jarrett 338 long ranger
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

david miller 340 weatherby or jarrett 338 long ranger
 Login/Join

posted
guys i need help i want to buy a belted 338 magnum for long range big game hunting.
jarrett want 16000 usd for his longranger in his 338 jarrett,the other gun is a david miller 340 weatherby
this gun is build on a hartmann weiss magnum action

MR.MASKAYEV

one of us
posted Hide Post
Um, Miller.

Posts: 2658 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
did you mean to say two hundred and fifteen thousand dollars?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I'm not mistaken, D'Arcy Echols has a pre-owned .338 Win mag or .340 Weatherby Legend for sale (don't recall which) that I would personally prefer over either.

He can be reached at: Echolslegend@comcast.net

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodhits:
If I'm not mistaken, D'Arcy Echols has a pre-owned .338 Win mag or .340 Weatherby Legend for sale (don't recall which) that I would personally prefer over either.

He can be reached at: Echolslegend@comcast.net

I agree.

Posts: 2658 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I like millers stuff,but

http://www.gunsinternational.c...cfm?gun_id=100429274

Hell of a gun and buy a nice elk hunt and a s. African or Namibian plains game hunt...for the same money...

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Of those two, I would pick the Miller hands down.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
did you mean to say two hundred and fifteen thousand dollars?[/QUOTE

yes sir.
its made on hartmann und weiss m98 magnum action
engraved by alain lovenberg of belgium
its new,it gives a 3 to 4 inch group at 800 yards.

MR.MASKAYEV

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Woodhits:

He can be reached at: Echolslegend@comcast.net[/QUOT

how is echols rifles compared to david millers?

MR.MASKAYEV

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no firsthand knowledge of Miller's guns but I know that they have a fine reputation and have enjoyed Turpin's book on them.

As for D'Arcy's guns, I've spent a decent number of days in his shop and am very familiar with his operation. He is the most meticulous, detail-obessessed, and perfection-driven human being that I know. His commitment to serving his customers is second-to-none and he stands behind his products.

I have an Echols Legend ordered as my "go everywhere and kill everything" gun because I know that it will A) function, and B) be accurate. If you are looking at guns in that price range, I would give D'Arcy a call.

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Contact McWhorter and have them build a 338 RUM for you for about $5K. You will get a super accurate rifle that has load development already done. I had one with a titanium action that I should have kept. My long range elk gun now is an Ed Brown 340 I bought for about $2800. I can't imagine anything much better for a long range hammer. They are out there. Good luck finding what you want.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
did you mean to say two hundred and fifteen thousand dollars?

Wondering the same thing. Either too many zeros or someone is smoking their lunch.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned or have 8 different Millers.
The one you describe sounds off to me for some reason. I would need to see pictures.
I will be selling one of my original marksman shortly, if you are interested.
300wby though.
I would not even look at a Jarrett.
If the Miller is legit, I would pay the extra money.

Posts: 188 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 31 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Miller by 2 lengths

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I currently have a 338 Jarrett. It is by far the most accurate 338 I have ever owned. The cartridge is a blown out 8mm Remington Magnum case with a fairly short neck and has considerably more capacity than the 340 Weatherby. It does not have the Weatherby free bore. I have owned 340 Weatherby rifles and much prefer the Jarrett cartridge.

Posts: 251 | Location: Newport, WA | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
215,000 thousand for a rifle !
No matter how wealthy you are that's like burning money ,it cant possibly be that good , But its you money ,
...tj3006

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I admit, I look like a dumbass.
For some reason my brain saw 21,500.
Not sure about the Hartman Weiss part.
I have only known David to use Winchester, or Weatherby actions

Posts: 188 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 31 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Yep I saw 21500 too...Let me Amend my post

I like millers stuff,but

http://www.gunsinternational.c...cfm?gun_id=100429274

Hell of a gun and buy a nice elk hunt, 21 day safari for Lion, leopard, and Buffalo in Tanz,and finish off with a elephant hunt in Namibia. That should eat up 215,000...and money better spent...

Ed

DRSS Member

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on what long range hunting is to you?

Long range starts at 800 yards... if you are shooting at those distances, you need a dedicated rifle.
- A dedicated scope with good adjustments.
- A stock that with adjustable comb and buttplate

And I would look at the 338 Lapua Magnum. Atleast you get good brass, and maybe even find loaded ammunition in a store.

Even, look at a Accuracy International AXMC in 338LM. Its purpose built for long range shooting, laying in prone. Which is what you need to do.

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
this gun is build on a hartmann weiss magnum action,its engraved by alain lovenberg,price is 215000 usd

Wow!

My response is: I don't know. Wink

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I used any mentioned it would be Mr. Echols.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thank you soo much guys,thanks all of you for your kind help.
i will go for a new jarrett 338 magnum on his own trilock action,i dont like free bore of weatherbys,i have 3 crown customs in 378,300 and 460.
once again thank you all

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if D'Arcy Echols and David Miller can build a 340 Wby without Freebore? Laughing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know they can Chuck. Just need to start your loads lower and work them up.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Miller, I wouldn't own a Jarrett rifle.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have $215K to drop on a rifle then you can, and should, buy whichever the hell one you want. Don't compromise! If the Miller floats your boat because of aesthetics or some other reason, then by all means get it!

But if you are hesitant at all, the thrifty pragmatist in me says that you should get something that will do the job just as well for a heck of a lot less, leaving plenty of money left over for other "stuff"...

Take it for what it's worth: Internet advice from a total stranger... but then you asked for it. Wink

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Miller is in a group of very few select makers in the world that can charge whatever he wants.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe you can get a much better rifle from Echols for a lot less money. I never cared for the Jarretts and the Millers are just over the top. Yes, that is my opinion and yours may be different.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont see the value in it.. One could get an equal rifle built by dozens of smiths around the country, for half the price!

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
I just can't get past the Miller ugly.

Just curious, is it the scope mount? Cuz while I don't totally agree, I can certainly see how it could be objectionable. Other than that I can't really see how anyone could complain. I mean they are classically stocked M-70s, and without the massive scope mount I'm guessing they'd be hard to distinguish from any other high end custom rifle...

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I apologize. I confused them with another maker. I amended my post. I had still rather have an Echols.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
I apologize. I confused them with another maker. I amended my post. I had still rather have an Echols.

Miller and Crum make a beautiful rifle that leaves no stone unturned. But I agree with you.

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MR.MASKAYEV:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Woodhits:

He can be reached at: Echolslegend@comcast.net[/QUOT

how is echols rifles compared to david millers?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a hard time imagining any gun better than one made by Echols. Compared to a Miller gun an Echols gun is a flat out bargain. Just my opinion, however.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Contact Dave Viers at black Diamond rifles and have him build you a lite weight .375 snipe tac

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote