THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Aftermarket CRF action or rebuilding a factory CRF rifle action?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aftermarket CRF action or rebuilding a factory CRF rifle action?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm considering a WSM derivative cartridge and need a rifle or action to start. I want a CRF action at a moderate (or cheap) price so, what is available for less than $1,000 besides a factory Winchester rifle off Gunbroker or an MRC action or possibly barreled action?

I want an aftermarket McMillan stock and durable finish, probably Gunkote, so, the factory takeoffs don't hold a lot of value to me.

I've already done a 338/06AI on a cheap Remington rifle and when it was all said and done wondered if I would have been better off with an aftermarket action at the start. I want to make a more informed choice this time.

THANKS!
Sid

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sid

Buy a Kimber Montana in a WSM caliber, change out the barrel if you so desire, and go hunting.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I'd buy a Howa 1500 in a WSM caliber, and spend some money to get a new barrel and Bansner or McMillan stock.

Bansner does a Howa 1500 set up pretty nice for around $1800.

The new Nosler rifles are also available in WSMs.

Not sure what your gaining by the WSM but to each his own.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
The cheapest way to get a factory action is to find a gunsmith that works on Winchesters. I talked to mine and he said, you buy the rifle from me, and I will buy the Stock, Barrel, and Trigger for my parts cost.

He let me look at half a dozen or so and I picked the action with the best appearance.

Here is the result in a 7WSM:

Good deal for Gun Store, they got the rifle sale and spare parts for repair work. I got a super action well below cost. This was one of the first A-5 for WSM, so Kelly cut me a courtesy discount. Sent bolt sleave to USO and they made me a PIC rail for the thing. Sends 7mm 180 Berger VLD with great authority (2850+) and precision, as I was told. Barrel is Lilja three groove, 26". After market bottom metal and Jewel single stage. Fiddling around like this significantly cuts project cost.

Various 7mm VLDs shown with .308 175 SMK

You can't buy a rifle like this!

PS: Got over confident and pulled the last shot on the lower right target. oops!

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
Which one are you looking at?

Let me guess.

The other day I ran the top end of my .330 Dakota Die into a 7mm WSM case and then punched one of my .338 Hornady 225 red tips in with the Dakota seating die.

It made a .338 WSM and the cartridge looks beautiful. Not a huge magnum, but probably nearly equal to the Dakota.

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
CDNN had some FN actions, {Winchester} for about $350

Posts: 173 | Location: Pa | Registered: 02 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those CDNN actions were for 308Win. Bolt and feed work probably makes them cost more then scrapping a new rifle barrel and stock unless you stick to a 308Win variant of some sort.

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote