THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    2 Bore Jones Underlever Black Powder Cartridge Rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2 Bore Jones Underlever Black Powder Cartridge Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It's been a long journey building this rifle but it is finally finished.

The specifications:

* Caliber: 2 Bore (1.325" groove diameter)
* Action: Left hand Jones Rotary Underlever w/Back action hammer lock and extractor
* Barrel: 28" long (1:48 twist) w/ Quarterrib and ramped front sight base.
* Weight: 22 Pounds 3 Ounces w/ 3-13ounce mercury recoil reducers
* Length of pull, drop at comb, drop at heel and style of stock were all built to the customers specification.
* Stock: Sugar Maple w/ ebony forearm tip, stained to customers specifications, oil finished, and carnuba waxed.
* Checkering: 20 Line Per Inch Semi-flattop, borderless.
* Finish: Action, Underlever, Triggerguard, Grip Cap, Back action lock, Off-side plate, and escheutons are Color Case Hardened, the monoblock and barrel are rust blued, the screws are nitre blued.
* Recoil Pad: Pachmayr Decelerator
* Sights: Rear - NECG Multi-leaf Express Sight, Front - Stolzer and Son's Partial Silver Caterpillar.
* Cartridges: S&H 2 Bore Black powder express 3.5" 700gr FFg, Jeff Tanner Custom Ball Mould, 1.325" 3500gr, Arsenal Primers.
* The Rotary Underlever acts to the right, at the request of the Customer, all other functions are left handed.
* Engraving is a custom pattern by Stolzer and Son's in traditional broad acanthus leaves.

The only thing remaining to do on this rifle is develop a load, file and blue the rear sight. I'll try to get videos posted of me shooting it when I do some of the sight in work.

Colin

Posts: 2329 | Location: uSA | Registered: 02 February 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Spectacular, Colin, absolutely spectacular!!

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Colin,

All I can say is WOW!!!! shocker Big Grin

ED

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank You, it's been a fun and sometimes frustrating project.

Colin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have really enjoyed following your progress through the links to your website on your other thread. Thanks for your posts and I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Posts: 27 | Location: Pullman, WA | Registered: 01 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Wow! What's the bullet diamiter of a 2 bore? The rifle is stunning.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the compliments.

dlutter
I'm glad you enjoyed the build documentation. I'm not sure what the next build I'll document is going to be, the next rifle on my roster is another 2 Bore Boxlock. I've already documented one of those and this one is going to be just a left handed version of the same, so nothing new there. I have a Flintlock, chunk gun(over the log rifle) coming up behind it, nothing really exciting about it either. I don't like to do repeat stuff, so I'm not sure what I'll be documenting next.

TC1, it shoots a 1.325" diameter projectile, the balls cast in pure lead weigh 3500gr(1/2 pound).

Colin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Colin

Did you guys ever determine the range of shootable loads (charge & velocity) for the round ball??

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice work.

Do you know if the new owner plans to hunt with this rifle?

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MHC_TX:
Nice work.

Do you know if the new owner plans to hunt with this rifle?

Don't think he does but will ask when I speak to him next week.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any chance the owner will bring this incredible monstrosity to a Hoot&Shoot? What kind of begging do we have to do?

I shot a 26# 4 Bore with no problem. This would be a treat!

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The owner is actually a member on this forum, he just doesn't participate much.

I don't know if he plans to hunt with it, I know he enjoys taking it to the range, apparently it is very destructive to old truck bodies or so he's told me.

The only load data I have on it was the sight in load. This load was worked up to the specs of the Customer for accuracy and reasonable recoil. The primer pocket was sleeved to take Winchester 209 shotgun primers instead of the Arsenal Primers. The load column is 350grs FFg Goex black powder, an 1.5” lubed wool felt wad column, and a cast wheel weight(water dropped) round ball (mould by Jeff Tanner, ball specs diameter 1.325”, weight 3,376grs), Chrono average of 1020fps. I loaded as high as 500gr FFg Goex, during my load development for accuracy and tolerable recoil, but I never chrono’d the heavier loads. I can say for certain that the 500gr charges are a brute to shoot, not impossible, just not something you want to do very much of.

Colin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice looking work. What distance are the rear sight leaves regulated for? 25, 50, 75, and 100yds? I imagine the BC of that round ball is about .001 and the trajectory resembles a mortar round.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

The fixed leaf is sighted for 50 yards. The folding leaves were never sighted in. It was agreed to by the customer that he would work out the rest of the yardages. He had a custom mold made by NEI for a lighter weight(approx. 2500gr) paradox style bullet I designed and he wanted the ability to use one of the other leaves to sight for it after he finished his load work on the lighter bullet.

Colin