New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield 1922
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I posted this on another forum but thought some on here might enjoy it. Been a bit slow here lately. I recently picked this clunker up at auction. Wondering if anyone else sees what I think I see in it.

John

Posts: 553 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like your definition of a clunker

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks to me like it may be a depression era re-work sporter on a factory arsenal gun. I don't know the styling queue's well enough to pick out who's, but thats quite the find! Are you shooting this in the rimfire porter match this year?

Posts: 288 | Location: AL | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well done!! great find.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The downward tilt of the scope. I wonder what range it's zeroed at.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably 200yds. Popular distance in that era. Not so much today.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John, does the checkering on the pistol grip go all the way to the inletting? If so, I'm going to guess Seymour Griffin. Do you know who for sure? or just have strong idea? Don't keep us in suspense.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is another that I believe was done by the same guy from Michigan. This one is a 1903 nra sporter that is still in the original armory stock that has been restyled. The checkering style and execution is identical. Grip cap the same bench made horn cap he used on nearly all his rifles.

The family resemblance is clear. The 1922 still has the original buttplate where this one has a Neidner style steel buttplate.

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what I can find it looks like Shelhamer's work. This is new stuff for me. Interesting how there are so many nuances from the different craftsmen of the period and there "tells".

one of us
posted Hide Post
Correct, I believe it was restyled by Shelhamer. The second rifle is from my dads collection and is pictured in Petroves second book. When I was a young lad, that rifle was in a gun rack on the wall above the head of my bed so I know it pretty well. That would probably be against some law these days.

I've not shot any rim fire sporter matches Lance, but I suspect a 1922 would fair well in it.

Good to hear from you. I've been doing a fair amount of hunting with my son. Weren't you offering hunts on a ranch down south at one time?

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good to hear from you. I keep up with your posts, always interesting. Yes, I guide thermal hog hunts in SW Georgia. Unfortunately it's with AR's. But, it is fun non the less. I'll P.M. you my contact info.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Those are some pretty dang nice clunkers

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fine rifles!!!! Thanks for ppsting.

Posts: 41790 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
really like mine.