THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    So, whats the best Hi Tech metal finish for hunting rifles
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, whats the best Hi Tech metal finish for hunting rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have used blue all my life and mostly rust blue, need to know what the most durable hi tech finish for a hunting rifle is...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41841 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used black teflon and Gun Kote. Both have been entirely satisfactory.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used high gloss blue, black ice teflon, Cerakote and Parkerizing. The most durable has been Parkerizing on a 1990 production Remington 700 custom shop rifle. Nothing else comes close IMO.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you ask most of the rifle builders I am pretty sure the response these days is that the cerakote is the go to finish for hunting and tactical type rifles.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
stainless steel with a rattle can of Krylon black.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Consider Black Nitride from H&M Metal Processing
http://blacknitride.com, had them treat one of my rifles, nice durable matte finish.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim@IMReps:
Consider Black Nitride from H&M Metal Processing
http://blacknitride.com, had them treat one of my rifles, nice durable matte finish.

I have this treatment on a 10mm/1911. Dropped it in the salt water in Alaska. The treated areas were unaffected versus untreated areas.

I also understand this is the same finish that Mauser uses on their M03 rifles, at least the actions. Not sure about the barrels, but I had zero rust come off my M03 action that I took to Alaska and got quiet wet as well (from rain and mist versus dropped in water!)

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about wear, I have seen some of these finishes that showed wear like a blued gun.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41841 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rustoleum is cheap, readily available and easy to touch up. I don't think that there are any magical finishes that will not show signs of use and abuse.

Posts: 816 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would love to see an environmental test lab perform a "Consumer Reports" style side-by-side comparison of test coupons put through the ringer to move this discussion away from opinion and random anecdotal evidence. Not discounting anyone's personal experience here, I'm just sayin"...

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
DLC coatings are pretty interesting.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1021 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matte chrome from Accurate Plating and Weaponry!
If you want weather and wear protection there's simply nothing better! Period!
Zeke

One of Us
Picture of 6.5west
posted Hide Post
For me, the most rust resistant finish has been a quality parkerizing coated by any of the baked on finished (I use Brownell's baking lacquer). This two step finish really seals out the elements.

Tony

Posts: 37 | Location: South Central Ohio | Registered: 02 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Parkerizing has worked on military guns for decades. I've used it on builds and it looks great and will last forever. I sure give it high consideration.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 827 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
BTW - I will tell you which finish has had the worse rust problems for me and all my friends - Tikka factory stainless steel. This sh#t rusts like the devil - mostly below the stock line.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Robar Industries has a finish called RoGuard 2. I have a .375 finished in the original Roguard. That finish is practically bulletproof, doesn't seem to scratch or thin and there is, according to Robar, no danger of rust ever again.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tenefer on Glock's is pretty impressive. We used to test by rubbing a framing nail 3 1/2" vigorously on the inside of the barrel and the metal deposits were from the nail with zero damage to the barrel.
I also use Cerakote and highly recommend them. I have had them use Leupold's matt blue color on the barreled action perfectly matching the scope.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I posted a picture of my 460 G&A OM 70 for Gerhard if you want to look.

It is the titanium gray cera-kote. A rather attractive finish if I may say so.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I would say whatever is on glock slides and blaser barrels is pretty good shit. I have one rifle that is coated with Balzers and that seams to be extremely durable as well.

Mac

Posts: 1724 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Robar makes a solid finish $450 for a bolt action rifle. I have a Ruger 35 Whelen that has that finish on it.

I am thinking about doing a m70 in that.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go black Teflon. Cerakote is HIGHLY dependent on who does the application. I have one that is as thick as paint and I had to scrape it off the bolt rails so I could run the bolt. Same with the bolt lugs.

The Teflon rifle I have has lasted wonderfully. It was done 15 years ago and is holding up great.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
The best looking coating I have ever seen is Wayne's at AHR. he mixes his own color and it is the nicest, most "un-coated-looking" finish I've seen.