THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Fitted gun case for two breakdown rifles?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fitted gun case for two breakdown rifles?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gene Gordner gave me wonderful news about my built-to-order .72-caliber English-style cap lock rifles. Stocks and woodwork are essentially complete. Metal is either out for heat treat or at Doug Turnbull's for color case hardening. And I'll pick them up the first part of June. . . . That's THIS June.

I want to acquire a fitted gun case for both rifles, plus their essential accoutrements. I want the case to be secure and protective enough to use to transport the rifles. But I have no idea who does this sort of work. And I'm not comfortable with the idea of having a traditional British oak-and-leather case with baise wool and leather straps securing stocks and barrels and additional straps keeping case securely closed.

I request information on case builders.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1507 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you would be interested in a modern aluminum Americase made for two breakdown shotguns, I have one For Sale, in Montana?

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1794 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDH:
If you would be interested in a modern aluminum Americase made for two breakdown shotguns, I have one For Sale, in Montana?

Agree, mine is an aluminum hybrid case be them. Holds two double rifles/shotguns with scopes and has made many airline flights and has been great.

Mac

Posts: 1731 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple of casemakers from the ACGG on this page:
https://www.acgg.org/index.php...Casemaker&Itemid=180

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 830 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not familiar with the one gentleman, but I can say that Marvin Huey makes a fantastic case. His work is not inexpensive, but his quality is top notch.

TT

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tsquare2:
I'm not familiar with the one gentleman, but I can say that Marvin Huey makes a fantastic case. His work is not inexpensive, but his quality is top notch.

TT

From what I have seen they are beautiful cases. I would not want to check on into the baggage handlers though.

Mac

Posts: 1731 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, I'm getting antsy.

Mr. Hughes: I am interested in your gun case. I believe you are east of me but within 200 miles. When I have possession of my rifles - or at least one of them - I'll email you or call, if you prefer, to identify precisely what will be in the gun case. As you know, there's a substantial "tail" of needed accessories. The rifles are identical save stock. One is Stealth Laminated® maple; one is Bastogne walnut. Oh, and I believe one barrel is .250-inch shorter than the other.
I've been investigating case makers/manufacturers. Galazan offers several gun cases, including a "Precision Aluminum Travel Airline Case" (C0010), "Leather Covered Impact Case" (C0410) that is high impact plastic with leatherette covering, and "Impact Gun Case" (C0408) a no frills high impact plastic. What catches my attention includes Galazan is a small volume double gun and rifle maker. They tout the flexibility designed into their gun cases. And they are willing to create completely custom case organization - that is, one-off builds.
When I drive to Gene's shop to pick up my rifles (and, perhaps, pop some caps with him??) I intend to ask him about case makers. After all, Gene was the chief gun maker for Serengeti Rifles, and he may be, or might have been, for Kilimanjaro Rifles.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1507 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote