New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom Stock work...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
You have all seen my Steve Earle replica #1 Wesson Long Range action.

After fourteen months, I did get my barrel that I spec'ed out.

I have had a set of stock blanks sitting in my house for nearly eleven years waiting for that worthy action, and a decision on caliber.

It's going to be a 450-400 Nitro Express 3 1/4" chambering. Noted gunsmith Roger Green has agreed to do the barrel work, and expects to return it in mid-July. I shipped it to him this morning. Nice man. I asked if he needed a deposit, and his response: "Rich, I will have your barrel and action. I don't think I need a deposit..."

Now to the odd part. Steve Earle recommended two pantagraphers.

One quoted me:

1. 4-6 months minimum.
2. required the entire charge for the work up front.
3. he operates out of a PO Box.

The other, Dave Crossno, quoted me roughly the same $$$, but cuts to order, one blank at a time. He tells me 6-8 weeks, and says what Roger Green did, "I have your wood, I don't take any $$$ until the stocks are ready to ship back to you. He also gave me a street address.

Obviously, the wood is going to Dave Crossno, for all three reasons listed.

The question: was I being needlessly concerned about the issues raised by the first gentleman?

thanks,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger Green?

Hunted with him in Torrington, Wyoming over Deutsch Drahthaar's. He won't admit it, but does a lot of custom work for the Bush family.

Are you a Republican, Rich?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing to consider is that not all guys who have a pantograph put out the same quality work. I have only ordered stocks to use as patterns from Crosnoe so can not comment on his quality. I can say after using several others that Al Lind does an excellent job. I have heard the same about Gene Simelon. I cut all my own now days and rarely do the service for others. Your mileage may vary. Good luck with it and be sure to post pictures as you progress.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that skipping the first gentleman was a wise decision.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 828 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A name might help identify the quality of the work of the first gentleman but then he obviously has enough business to keep busy. Some people don't need to advertise or have web pages etc to.

Posts: 816 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote