New
Find
Notify
Tools

and again
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i swore 2-3 years back that i was to old to make any more rifles but but but but i did run into a nice martini cadet action and and and after making a barrel of them i succumbed and it wasn't just that but seeing a pretty piece of turkish - i was a goner that isn't all next row to the turkish was one of the wildest piece of curley claro i've seen in years well after very very little thought it ended up in my bag with dreams of this ruger #1in on the plus side it'll give something to do fr the next year while my back recovers from another surgery my head

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch,
My son and wife live at Madison Lake and are moving to Cleveland, MN, not far from you.
They nearly moved to Fairibault. Nice part of the world.
Being someone who loves single shots, I may drop by when up north for a visit.
Hope the project is a home run for you!

Posts: 10172 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
will be glad teo meet you

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lester Brooks
posted Hide Post
Picture of my 2nd to last rifle to make. Martini 20 special and English walnut from 2009.

Several pictures are on my DVD of my work on Martini acitons.

Posts: 91 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 December 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lester Brooks
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lester, who profiled the wood for your last Martini? I have a Cadet 218 Bee that I bought as a kid and would like to up grade the wood. I think that the photo of your Martini is what a nice one should look like.

One of Us
Picture of Lester Brooks
posted Hide Post
I used my own stock patterns and cut my blanks on my designed duplicator. I have several projects on my DVD to help people learn. After 32 yrs I went back to TSJC in 1992 and taught stockmaking for a couple of yrs until they could find someone younger to take over. I am too old to work anymore and try to answer questions on gunsmithing. I don't take any projects!!!

Martini actions has been one of my favorite for center fired cartridges.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used Treebone carving, who has a similar pistol grip pattern, although I think it has a bit more drop than Lester's rifle.

I'm currently looking for a center fire breechblock-I have a Cadet in good condition except for the breechface. Alternately, any recommendations for a smith too reface the block and bush the firing pin so I can rebarrel to a .17 Hornet or sinmilar?

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lester Brooks
posted Hide Post
I have a drawing of the Martini, but can't find the paper now. I will try to measure the rifle again and tell you what I made in 2007 or 2009 as I still have this rifle along with my other elephant rifle, a 204 Ruger mini mauser action. What you need to know before making a stock. The open sight will need more drop than a scope sight stock. If you wear glasses you need a little more drop on the comb to see the sight picture.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
is that a good old k10 sitting on top? interesting i've made lots of martini cadet stocks and mine almost match you deign tia tee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't know Mossberg made Martini actions :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
go back in your corner shamewe're talking about real gun here