New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rust blue v caustic blue - 416
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I’m building a lefty 416 Rem on a model 70 action, and I’ll be sending the gun off for bluing in the next couple of months. I’ve posted about this build in another thread.

Should I go with a hot blue finish or rust blue? Any disadvantages with a rust blue finish?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The main downside to rust bluing is that few people can do it perfect. It has a tendency to thin out on the edges when carding. It takes a real pro to get it right. But when done right it has a depth of blue that can't be equaled. It also wears very well. Doug at Glen Rock Bluing has done alot of blueing for me and the last Rust Blue job that he did on a Pre-64 Model 70 Custom was Perfect. It also costs a little bit more than a hot bath blue job because it is so labor intensive but on a high dollar custom job like you are talking about it would be worth it.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Right; for most hunting rifles rust is a waste of money. For high end customs, fine. Unless you do it yourself like I do, then it is almost free. Get your solution from Bobster, here. Steam rust. Just boil one quart of water; not gallons,

Posts: 17122 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love old world rust blue, and some other pre WW war bluing is even better, colt, win, and rem back then was awesome..I personally love the old Rem 721, 722 blue. Lasts and lasts.My favorite is the corbin blue of the late 1940 or there abouts. Doug Turnbull does it best IMO.He did a H&H 375 for me some years ago that was awesome.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41858 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote