Find
Notify
Tools

My Second Rifle Build
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ray Fryar
posted
Hello all, well I finally decided on a barrel twist and length for my 45-70 build, I ended up going with a heavy 28" 1:18 / 8 groove Mcgowen with a straight taper. It is coming along and I think I am going to be happy with my choice of barrel. Still needs a lot more work on the stock and finish work on the metal.The target is in 1/2" squares. So what does everyone think so far.
[img]https://s19.postimg.org/vyhnrnr8v/image.jpg"> [/url] [/IMG]

Ray
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Patriot Endowment Life Member

Posts: 103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 22 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like it. What action ?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ray Fryar
posted Hide Post
Thanks, it is a Frank Dehaas design that I have made several slight changes to the internal workings. For some reason I cannot get the thumbnail to appear in my posts so maybe the link will work to the picture.

Raw materials

Ray
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What range and load?

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ray Fryar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ClaMar:
What range and load?

Clarence

There is still a ton of work to be done if you look closely the stock is still about 2.75" thick and still needs shaping. As for the target it was only to check the scope mounts and to check the adjustments of the scope at 50 yrd, the 4 shots on the left were mine starting on the bottom with shot #1 and checking the scope adjustments for what they were doing to poi, the 2 rounds on the left were my son-in-laws, all just to be shooting the rifle and checking the action for functionality other than the proof loads. the whole rifle will have to be disassembled, finish work on the metal and stock done, bluing and stock finish applied. Once that is all done I will start work on load development. Right now I have 3 molds, 2-405 gr and 1-500 gr and have cast and powder coated 20 or so of each to start out with. I will post more pic. as I get more done Thanks.

Ray
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Can't help you out with the powder coated bullets. I suppose you can find a load with smokeless powder that will work fine.

When you get finished messing around, try the 500 gr. bullet, not coated and lubed with a good black powder lube, a cci200 primer, enough black to fill the case to the base of the bullet when the bullet is seated just short of the rifling, and work up in powder 1 or 2 grains at a time until the load tightens up. Blow 3-4 times between shots with a blow tube. I like to rest the barrel ~6" behind the muzzle.

One more thing-clean the barrel very thoroughly from the smokeless powder residue and coated bullet residue before you start with black powder loads.

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote