Find
Notify
Tools

CE Durham shortened Mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey Guys,
Today I took a look at some sort of M98 that had been shortened up. It now sports a 222Rem barrel. I'm not sure how much of the action they cut out, but it'd not surprise me if it was 1/2" shorter or so. It did not look like the bolt face was bushed, but did have a weird looking, maybe hand made, extractor on it.

The barrel was marked CE Durham-Gunsmith. Or something pretty close to that. It had a scope on it, so I couldn't see much for markings. Anyone else seen anything like this?

Posts: 1307 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Nope, but I have a 375 WTBY barrel I used on a Mauser Mk X with his mark. Not sure where he was located.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve Fotou, once noted gunsmith of the SLC area did a couple of actions like this one. He cut them across at a 45-degree angle near the front receiver, and again 3/4" farther back, then rewelded them. Ditto for the bolt, but just square cut it at the rear, and redid it.

He is in the Seattle area these days.

The best gunsmith I have ever seen.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote