New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hankins custom ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone heard of Hankins custom rifles. Would like any feedback good or bad. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no personal experience with him but a good friend of mine has one of his rifles in .243 win and he's very happy with the gun as well as dealing with Hankins. I've heard he makes a very accurate muzzle loader as well.

Posts: 578 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He builds some very nice muzzleloaders from what I've found. They are not traditional btthey seem too shoot. I talked too him yesterday evening he seems too know what he's doing. He's got some videos with one gun pushing a 350gr bullet at 3800fps. He's got another with a lighter weight muzzleloader that pushes a250gr at 3000. These are not you're daddy's smoke poles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny reb:
He builds some very nice muzzleloaders from what I've found. They are not traditional btthey seem too shoot. I talked too him yesterday evening he seems too know what he's doing. He's got some videos with one gun pushing a 350gr bullet at 3800fps. He's got another with a lighter weight muzzleloader that pushes a250gr at 3000. These are not you're daddy's smoke poles.

350gr at 3800?

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
350gr at 3800?

Our military wants to know about this :-)

Posts: 20090 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs I know I thought I misunderstood him. Supposed too be videos on youtube. 2500 I could possible believe. Either way his muzzleloaders are supposed too be tack drivers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:
350gr at 3800?

Our military wants to know about this :-)

Shoot down spy planes!

Maybe it should have been 2800 fps, still a hellacious load.

M

Posts: 1230 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From cruising the web it looks like there using pittman custom bullets. All of these are 45calibre muzzleloaders using an unknown quantity of imr4198 so it may be possible too get 28-3000fps.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are guys definitely getting over 2800fps with 300-325's in those smokeless muzzleloaders. I load the ones I've done at a sedate 2600 w/ 300's. That takes about 64gr of IMP4198.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's good too hear. I thought I misunderstood when he said 3800. I asked for clarification that particular gun weighs 32lbs. Are Gus like these legal on muzzleloader hunts? I've searched the web he is supposed too be making very accurate muzzleloaders from what I've found.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's good too hear. I thought I misunderstood when he said 3800. I asked for clarification that particular gun weighs 32lbs. Are Gus like these legal on muzzleloader hunts? I've searched the web he is supposed too be making very accurate muzzleloaders from what I've found.

Yeah, I think you misunderstood. Even 3000FPS with a 45 cal muzzle loader is kinda stretching it with 350grain bullets.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, the claim IS 3800fps, but with a LOT slower burning powder than 4198. He has several witnesses who
observed the chrono (seems like it was a LabRadar) with several shots. They say you don't want
to be anywhere near his muzzle brake when Cyclops goes off!

Many states do allow smokeless ML's but several do not. Iowa does and I have a couple of them, but
Jeff did not build them. I did most of the work. I find that one of the new 275gr missiles running
2800fps is PLENTY for anything and range I hunt around here.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote