New
Find
Notify
Tools

G&H Sporter forearm length
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Would someone that has a Griffin & Howe sporter be kind enough to give me the length of the forearm from the front recoil lug screw to the end of the fore-end? I am working on a new stock now and would like to get the length right. Thanks in advance.
Doug

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What period of time are you interested in? They have been building rifles for about ninety years.

I can help on the early pre-war stuff but nothing later. Early G&H's will be found with wide range of forend lengths and styles. This is about the shortest I have seen, but I like it.

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
S.R. Griffin likes them long, this was made right before G&H.

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent

Posts: 437 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the replies and thank you Dave for the PM. I think I've got the right number. I want one about the length of a standard rifle like Hemingway's.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago SPORTS AFIELD had an article on the Hemingway gun with a photo if I remember right. If that is the gun that you are trying to duplicate they may be able to e-mail the article and you could interpolate the forearm length from the photo or at least get a contact for the writer. Good luck and it sounds like a worthy project. Please e-mail me some photos when done.....Dave

Posts: 437 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure about G&H but most "English rifles "with barrel band swivels" are 8.5" or 9" from the front ring including a Ebony forend tip. G&H made some long forends and they had swivels in the wood, I would guess about 12 inches but don't know.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the offer Dave, but I have a copy of "Hemingways Guns" that has a chapter on G&H number 956 that Hemingway owned. I am looking to build something like that.
Ray, I prefer the shorter forends, just looking for the standard (if there was such a thing) sporter length like on Papa's rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Magnum

I have G&H #950 that appears to have been stocked by the same guy that did EH's. It has the hard line coming down vertically from the cutoff that transitions into a "diamond" shaped grip.

I'll try to measure tonight and post back.

bryndon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apologies for being nearly a month late and the poor photo quality.

Here are 2 G&H rifles and a Griffin stocked Pope barreled sporter.

Rifle on top is G&H #950 (~1930-31)forend length is 9"

Middle rifle is G&H #493 (~1926) forend length is 9.25"

Bottom is Griffin Stocked Pope barrelled sporter. Pope barrel date is 12/22. forend length is 11"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bryndon:
Bottom is Griffin Stocked Pope barrelled sporter. Pope barrel date is 12/22. forend length is 11"

Is that a Howe-Whelen bolt shroud sight on the Pope barrelled sporter?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes - sort of. It's marked "Hoffman Arms". I'll get a picture of the sight and post it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bryndon
Thay middle rifle is what I am looking for. Actually I am in the final stages of finshing it and will be checkering it soon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture of the sight