New
Find
Notify
Tools

Peterlongo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is not a rifle I made, nor did I have it made for me. However, someone had it made for them, and I am happy it is now mine.

Posts: 26 | Location: USA | Registered: 07 February 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What kind of action , what caliber. Thats a different bolt handle.

Hang on TITE !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The action is a Steyr Model 1895 and is a straight pull. The chambering is 8x50R. I sure wish I had the claw mounts with it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kinda neat! Is the rib soldered on? Claw mounts are not impossible to fit up...I'd fist look closely at the M/S offerings by Recknagel (NECG)

I do have the rear hardware (which would be the hard part)...Let me know and I can send along the appropriate part (Offset rear) to try out. Measure the inside to inside spacing at the front claw recess......this could be changed out if needed.

Not looking for work but willing to perhaps get you on the proper beginning or start?... Or start at the beginning?

Posts: 3461 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Kinda neat! Is the rib soldered on? Claw mounts are not impossible to fit up...I'd fist look closely at the M/S offerings by Recknagel (NECG)

I do have the rear hardware (which would be the hard part)...Let me know and I can send along the appropriate part (Offset rear) to try out. Measure the inside to inside spacing at the front claw recess......this could be changed out if needed.

Not looking for work but willing to perhaps get you on the proper beginning or start?... Or start at the beginning?

Duane - thanks for the interest and the offer. I believe the rib is soldered on. I think I will leave the rifle as it is. I've never shot it and don't plan to. I would love to have the original scope and mounts, but I don't want to try to piece something together. The rifle has open sights, so it's not completely lacking.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting rifle, why not shoot it ?

Posts: 707 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
What an interesting Steyr. The bolt knob treatment in itself distinguishes the rifle. The 95 action is ingenious; all the ones I have had were the 8X56 carbines in plain military dress.
Ross, you certainly are a discerning collector.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16408 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ross SDS:
quote:

Duane - thanks for the interest and the offer. I believe the rib is soldered on. I think I will leave the rifle as it is. I've never shot it and don't plan to. I would love to have the original scope and mounts, but I don't want to try to piece something together. The rifle has open sights, so it's not completely lacking.

I wasn't suggesting a bubble gum "pieceing together" program, I was pointing out that a proper restoration is most certainly attainable by a compotent gunsmith

Posts: 3461 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ross SDS:
quote:

I wasn't suggesting a bubble gum "pieceing together" program, I was pointing out that a proper restoration is most certainly attainable by a compotent gunsmith

Thanks for the input - certainly food for thought. It comes down to the fact that I'm not really a restoration guy. For rifles that are primarily collector items, I gravitate toward
vintage/antique/originality.

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Very cool old rifle!

Dave

Posts: 919 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote