THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    .577 NfB Conversion double rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.577 NfB Conversion double rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen,
I thought some of you might be interested to see my latest project gun. It is a .577 NfB rifle built on a 3 1/2 inch magnum 10 gauge frame. It has 27 inch barrels on it and the stock was done by me out of a beautiful piece of Franquette walnut.

The gun weighs 12 pounds 8 ounces and pushes a 650 grain bullet out at 1800 FPS. Recoil is brisk but not uncomfortable, it has a Pachmayr Decelerator butt pad on it. I also extended the rail on the trigger guard down to meet the steel gripcap. Sling swivel studs were fitted fore and aft.

The stock was custom built for the owner, it has a 15" length of pull, drop at the comb is 1 3/8", drop at the heal is 1 5/8", there is 1/4" castoff and the toe is pitched out another 1/4". The checkering is borderless 24 lines per inch and I was well pleased with the way it turned out. I spent two weeks of my spare time doing the checkering on the two pieces of the stock. Altogether, I am pretty happy with the way it turned out. Bob

Posts: 141 | Location: Iowa,U.S.A. | Registered: 13 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Beautiful DR.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It appears that you did a beautiful job. How does it shoot?

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Very very nice. Tell us more about the barrels.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
2 3/4 or 3"...1650 fps?? 1850??? This is another project I want to do...I think a very useable cartridge.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice gun and caliber. I believe Cal Pappas mentioned the .577nfb being just as efficient as a .470nitro. Personally I would have had the gun regulated for a 750grain bullet while were at it.
Lets us hear how it shoots. Thanks for sharing Smiler

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The barrels are 27 inch Pac-Nor barrels, chambered three inches long. We decide to do the three chambering because that's what the reamer was that he already had. It was always supposed to be a NfB rifle, the 750 grain bullets are not needed because all he will use it for is Black Bear, Moose, and maybe a stray water Buffalo.
The gun is well regulated to shoot less than two inch groups at 50 yards, if you can hold it. That is with the 650 grain hard cast bullets at 1800 FPS.
One of the old time elephant hunters, I have forgotten which one it was now, said that this was his favorite elephant load because it would shoot through an elephants head from any angle and nothing more was needed.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Did you regulate the barrels? The rib looks very nice. I have a Spanish sidelock 10 gauge mag that weighs 10.5lbs and I can barely hold it up.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fla3006,
Maybe we should talk about converting it to something lighter to carry and more effective on large animals. What brand is it? Bob

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
JJ Sarasqueta. There are some other good conversion candidates on GI now too.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Nice DR,what would be the time & cost involved for a project such as this?
Were you able to get the weight between the hands with the long barrels? thanks.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Bill I have checked into it...to do a nice job with barrels and restocking you are looking at 7000-8000 to do it right...

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done!! Very nice piece in a really interesting cartridge. If 650 grs. at 1800 fps won't kill it I don't need to be hunting it.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fla3006,
That certainly is a beautiful double that you posted the picture of, is that your 10 gauge double? Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
9.3 x 75R, Thanks for looking at my gun, I hope you enjoyed it. Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
505ED,
My pricing generally does not run that high. It would take a very special piece to cost that much. Even the .577 pictured here didn't cost that much. Contact me to get the full run down on pricing if you are truly interested in having a gun built. Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill73,
I sent you a P.m. with my pricing schedule. Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several people have asked whether or not this gun was regulated. It was regulated with 650 grain hard cast bullets at 1800 F.P.S. I usually don't save shot targets from the past, I either send them with the gun or burn them, they tend to accumulate and nobody is interested in them anyway.
This time however, I did save the last regulation target that I fired with this very special gun. The customer told me that all he was interested in was to get it good enough to hunt with, and I think I did that for sure.
I will try and post a copy of it here with this post. The last right /left pair fired show up as redish pink. The top hole was the first shot fired and I pulled it and called it at the bench as being a pulled shot, then I shot the last pair. They measured 7/8 " C. to C. Bob