New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock work
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone used mesquite wood for gunstocks? Any thoughts? Any pictures?

There is a mesquite sawmill near me and some of the wood looks great.

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Weatherby used a bunch of mesquite back in the 50s and 60s.

It is heavier than walnut.

It is also said to be hard on checkering tools.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
http://www.oldtreegunblanks.co...nblanks.php?woodid=6

Never used it, but here are some examples...

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It can be beautiful, but the good blanks are expensive.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
Butch, what are we talking "Expensive"?

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
The Screwbean Mesquite is the wood that is used for rifle stocks and is very hard to come by and expensive. It is only legal to cut in a few states now and to find a tree large enough for a blank is rare THEN to get it to cure correctly is even more difficult. I have a few very nice blanks plus one of my Marlins built by MarlinBig Grinis on Gordon’s web site above.

Screwbean when dry is just about the strongest and dimensionally stable wood you can use. To address the above --- it is not harder on checkering tools than any other wood.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have any pictures of mine, but I did it the same way you are thinking. I called Abilene Mesquite Hardwoods and had them look for me a couple nice 3" slabs 36" long. Charles looked for a while since he knew what I was using them for. Paid $85 for both slabs and sent them out to be semi-inlet. They are nothing fancy, but they are hell for tough.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I am doing a mesquite stock ona Marlin 1894 44 mag right now. I used the more common Texas red mesquite. It is going to make a beautifulk stock once I get it finished. If you are looking for a lot of figure dont go with mesquite. It can have figure but it tends to be subtle - which I really like.

Do a google for mesquite stock blanks and you will get several good links. But be prepared to pay a healthy chunk for a pretty plain blank. When i was looking for a blank to use on a M70 project to find a blank that had excellent layout and very modest figure was $400 and up. I ended up going with a 2 piece blank for my Marlin at that point.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
This is a page from my 70's Fagen catalog.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2685 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Screwbean has nothing in common with the other mesquite varietals with respect to the way the tree grows ---- better to know what you are working with than think you have something you don’t.

So we can all understand--see the following pics and know some of this is in my blank "pile"

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help and information, looks like it is a go! I will be using the more common Texas Red Mesquite. The project is a BSA Cadet single shot in 5.6X50R.

Now to find a duplicator.

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Donnie Gemes at Show-Me Gunstocks. I have used him for a number of stocks, rifle and shotgun. He is fast and reasonable.

Donnie Gemes
Show-Me Gunstocks
19557 Quail Ridge Rd
Warsaw, MO 65355
(660) 438-4568

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted Hide Post
my wife's custom-stocked encore was originally in regular Mesquite

but United Airlines broke it on the way home from Africa . . . Bullberry generously covered it under warranty but they did not have any red mesquite blanks, so her new one is in screwbean Mesquite

(all woodwork and barrels by Bullberry)

Troy Hibbitts

http://thehibbitts.net/
Brackettville, TX

Posts: 282 | Location: Brackettville, TX | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Screwbean? To match her husband????? :-)

Posts: 20092 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote