THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    WTB: Two OLD sets of Blackburn #4 New Model 70 .416 Rem Length Bottom Metal
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WTB: Two OLD sets of Blackburn #4 New Model 70 .416 Rem Length Bottom Metal
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen,
I have a three rifle project that has long been in the works with Mark Penrod that will involve a set of Model 70s, with his best quality metal work, and stocked in Echol's Legend Stocks. The set is to be chambered in .270 Winchester, .300 Holland & Holland, and .375 Holland & Holland. None of which will be my first custom in any chambering, however, I hope to fix my previous shortcomings this time around. The first rifle is a Pre-64 and I have Blackburn Bottom Metal taken care of, however, I do not have actual Ted Blackburn, from his hand when he was building it, #4 .416 Reiminton Magnum length, for either the .300 H&H Magnum OR the .375 H&H Magnum. Any input would be greatly appreciated on where I could source said original, not Swift, Blackburn #4 Bottom Metal. Thank you ahead of time...

Best Regards, Matt Garrett.
Chesapeake, Virginia
757-581-6270

Btw, I should say that neither I or Mark are casting aspersions on Swift's take on Mr. Blackburn's Bottom Metal. To the contrary I think they should be thanked for keep much of his life's work available in any form. There is, however, some desire to maintain the small details of the original product in this project if at all possible. Thank you respectfully...

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt, any long action blackburn metal will be the same length. 30-06 to 375.

Another thought is Echols bottom metal.

Posts: 2652 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

PM sent

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
If you're not able to find the two matching original Blackburn bottom metals - your next best option is to purchase three bottom metals from a single manufacturer and replace the bottom metal on the 270 Winchester. At least that's way your 3-set will fully match.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
I appreciate the input greatly. I was simply going on Mark's comments. I may have misunderstood him, however, I don't think so. Will get in touch in the morning and get that straight...

Chuck,
Nice to see you around. It has been a long time since we have conversed. I mentioned Darcy's Bottom Metal to Mark, however, I think he is just used to Blackburn. I find his best grade metal work, which has historically worn Blackburn in the past, to be impressive. We are a good part the way there and maybe further...

David,
I look forward to the pictures and the chance to talk with you later today...

Jim,
The .270 Winchester in French Walnut is NOT the .270 Winchester in this Set. They'll be laid out just about very, very similarly, however, the using rifle will be stocked from the beginning with Darcy's Legend Stock which I have on hand for that rifle. As well as two possible Blackburn candidates... One for certain. It's destiny as a tool of use has never been in question. Not to say that Allen did not commission that .270 with the intention to hunt it hard... I just don't know. He hunted it some.

Likely would make more sense to many to merely stock Allen's rifle in a Legend and call it part of the "Set", however, that is not how I see things and I want the set to balance and compliment one another as well as is humanly possible. Mark, Darcy, and my inner being will be thoroughly sick of the sight, sound, and general intonation I make before we are done...(grin but I fear a grain of truth lies within) This is really may be a mistake. Attempting a TRUE and PROPER pair is damned difficult... Going for three rifles with two of Classic Manufacture and one Pre-64 makes me wonder if I am making a mistake... I just cannot get past the perfection of Pre-64 feeding of the 06' cartridge casing with properly designed feed rails and NOT a magazine box... If I had been able to come across a Pre-war 70 in .375 H&H and another in .300 H&H, without a mortgage,this would have been a simpler build. Easier in some aspects. Though I have found few that were either up to my standard OR not a piece of history/art themselves and largely absolved from being viewed as an action. If I would have had my way all three rifles would be have been Pre-War 70s... That said the stakes for getting EVERYTHING just PERFECT rise to a relative fever pitch with such a canvas...

Regards, Matt.

fwiw, I fear a "set" is a bad idea from the start. A true pair is one of the grandest undertakings in all of gunsmithing. Steven Heilmann said as much about a pair of Springfield in .30-06 and .22 LR that are available, as an incredible pair of barreled actions IN THE WHITE, for slightly less than $20K. David Westbrook called me today about them... Oddly enough the .300 H&H Hagn just below them, which had a .22 K Hornet match, Sold today for about $18,000 CDN. I think that is nearly $800 is my calculator is correct...(just kidding Chuck) Really wanted that .300 H&H and a crime to buy one without the other... Shown on Ralph Martini's site.

Regards, Matt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
You were correct and I was full of stuffing... As it happens Mark was evidently going off my ASSumption that .416 Remington Length of the No. 4 indicated the No. 4 would be necessary for both the .300 H&H as well as the .375 H&H. As it turns out Mark has No. 3 Vintage Blackburn Bottom Metal in profusion, however, I am more than happy to make good on my request. Atleast for one No. 4... It would appear we need two No. 3s. He said the lack of width due to the relatively narrow .375 H&H shoulder lead to loaded cartridge popping out of the top of the magazine upon cycling. It was intended, as if a description actually meant something(grin), for the wider front .416 Remington and I'm guessing .458 Lott(officially putting my guessing and assumptions on hold until further notice). Have no clue why Mark mentioned not giving up his No. 4 the other day, however, I am asking clear and concise questions from here on...;-)

Regards, Matt.

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Matt,

I'm presuming the Blackburn #3 bottom metal magazine is cut for the .300 H&H so take the following in that vain...

Is there a reason Mark cannot modify the #3 magazine box to properly stack and feed the .375 H&H cartridges? It should be a fairly simple alteration.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

I have sent photos your way.

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,
Wrong presumption based on my original wrong presumption. I did not need a No. 4 Blackburn to begin with... Not exactly sure why Mark mentioned one, however, I spoke with him today and he said that No. 3 Blackburns were ideal for both .300 H&H & .375 H&H just as has been said above having come from Mr. Blackburn. The No. 4 is just a little wider at the front to deal with the .416 Remington's wider cartridges at the front. In short I did not need a No. 4 to begin with AND Mark had OLD No. 3 Blackburns in profusion... Why he mentioned not giving up one of his No. 4s the other day I don't know. May have just been an openly voiced thought...

David,
Thank you. I will be in touch.

Regards, Matt Garrett
757-581-6270

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
I greatly appreciate everyone's input and education on Blackburn Bottom Metal. I do not need No. 4 Metal and honestly can gin up not a wit of interest in building a .416 Remington Magnum(nor a Lott), hence I am going to pass on any No. 4 metal... Thank you.

It would also appear Mark has that particular model in "profusion" so I'm going to "source" them from him, short any deals to good to pass up. I've done enough damage hunting for parts that you were kind enough to point out were not ideal for this application...

Regards, Matt.