New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boyd's Upmarket Stocks?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have any experience with the Boyd's stocks that have the recently introduced "good" wood?

Wood Grades (scroll down)

Posts: 188 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 12 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wookie76:
Does anyone have any experience with the Boyd's stocks that have the recently introduced "good" wood?

Wood Grades (scroll down)
I wouldn't expect much, except the same sloppy fit.

Posts: 689 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Silvers is absolutely correct. I got their highest grade circassian and it really sucks.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Not a great stock. Usually serviceable but that's about it. Also, they know virtually nothing about rifles. The people I have talked to about dimensional errors on the site have told me "those are measurements from our model." 7 13/200"??? Come on! What is that? 7.065???

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently got one of their laminated stocks, for a R 700
It actually fits quite good

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bedding compound can make a sloppy fit turn out quite well.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Instructor,

Bedding compound can make a functional stock, but the expectation for expensive wood is enough wood for hand fitting to produce an excellent fit.

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ClaMar:
Instructor,

Bedding compound can make a functional stock, but the expectation for expensive wood is enough wood for hand fitting to produce an excellent fit.

Very true. I might be wrong but I took Instructor's post as a tongue-in-cheek comment on Boyd's "quality" machine inletting.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are no short cuts to a good stock, you get whatcha pay for..If one wants a hard working hunting stock at a decent price then I would recommend useing one of Brownells wood drop plus drop ins..they are workmanlike stocks that feel good and they work as well as any factory stock...However sometimes the best bet is to glass bed a factory stock and reshape it, take of a pound or two of wood, and you would be surprised how efficient they are and at a cost of about $150 finished you can't go wrong. I do this for a number of locals around here and they love them..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess my experience with Boyds' has been different. I recently had to replace the factory stock on my Browning X-Bolt when the dura-touch finish deteriorated into a sticky mess. I chose a Boyds' classic laminate stock and was okay with adding the additional 1+ lbs as my 300WM kicked liked a pissed mule. The order was placed on June 6th, and according to a stamp in the barrel channel was built on June 7th. It was delivered to my doorstep on June 10th. I ordered the stock with checkering and a Limbsaver recoil pad, both of which turned out well.

I took it to my smith to have it bedded and barrel floated and he commented that the inletting was near perfect and it was easy to work with.

I've not had an opportunity to shoot it much yet; but enough to know that it is shooting a bit more accurately than before. This may well be the result of the less felt recoil but regardless, I could not be happier with the Boyds' stock.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen good and mediocre from them. Nothing unusable, but inletting that was probably not up to date relative to the barreled action of today.

Overall, I think they are good stocks to use as replacements that are on par with factory stocks. Are they on par with a custom stock? Nope. Are you paying for a custom stock? Nope.

You're paying a couple thousand less, but getting 80% there. Not a bad tradeoff for a lot of situations.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Boyd's customer service changes, I don't care how good their stocks happen to be.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I've bought one stock from them and it was the cheapest one they offered. Had Lon Paul bed it and I can't find a thing wrong with it.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12877 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Different strokes for different folks..Some are easy to please and others not..

About any drop in stock will work with a little bedding, but pride of ownership comes into play and that varies a lot..

I, personally, don't care for any simi inlet or drop in stock..but if I lived in Alaska, for instance Id not want to use one of my custom rifles, that's why I have a .338 with a wood and a Ruger boat paddle stock. Depends on how you intend to use one, how it shoots, and will it hold a zero, the rest is only eye candy.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote