New
Find
Notify
Tools

The "Golden Rule"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Saw a mention of this "Rule" awhile back, but there was no elaboration on it in the thread. I did a google search but found nothing in the first dozen pages except info on the stock market.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I always thought the "golden rule" was he who has the gold, makes the rules.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Golden Devine Proportion Ratio ?

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do unto others before they do unto you?

Posts: 5745 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
J D Miller has your answer. Phi is the term given to the golden rule which is simply a proportion that is found in nature that is pleasing to the human eye(mind). Designers from ancient times to me use it daily.Google Phi.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike in Michigan:
Saw a mention of this "Rule" awhile back, but there was no elaboration on it in the thread. I did a google search but found nothing in the first dozen pages except info on the stock market.

The term is actually the "golden mean". Also, the "golden ratio".

http://www.google.com/search?q...rtIndex=&startPage=1

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now, to further establish my credentials as a simple hillbilly with a GED, how is this applied to firearm design?

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike in Michigan:
Now, to further establish my credentials as a simple hillbilly with a GED, how is this applied to firearm design?

Some people(myself included) use the Golden Ratio to determine forend length when making a stock. We feel it provides a visually more pleasing alternative to the old 'half the barrel length minus 1 inch' rule of thumb. This is especially true when a barrel band is used on the rifle.

The math
Forend length = Barrel length - (barrel length/1.618034)

If It Doesn't Feed, It's Junk.

Posts: 407 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Using that formula for my rifles with 25in barrels I would get 25 minus (25 divided by 1.618034) and be stuck with a forend of 9.55 and that would be wrong for all three of them. I have three such barrel lengths in rifles for three different purposes with two having barrel band sling swivels and they have forend of 7 3/4 and 8 3/4 being for a 7x57 and 404 respectively. The third is on a 20 VarTarg and with a forend of 10 3/4 and a forend mounted sling swivel. I think the "formula" may be a guide for a certain style of rifle but to use it across the board would get it wrong more often that it would get it right IMHO.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2684 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What VG said.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Von Gruff:
Using that formula for my rifles with 25in barrels I would get 25 minus (25 divided by 1.618034) and be stuck with a forend of 9.55 and that would be wrong for all three of them. I have three such barrel lengths in rifles for three different purposes with two having barrel band sling swivels and they have forend of 7 3/4 and 8 3/4 being for a 7x57 and 404 respectively. The third is on a 20 VarTarg and with a forend of 10 3/4 and a forend mounted sling swivel. I think the "formula" may be a guide for a certain style of rifle but to use it across the board would get it wrong more often that it would get it right IMHO.

Von Gruff.

I assume your barrels are 25" total length. When using the golden mean you only use the measurement of the portion of the barrel that is ahead of the receiver(which is less than 25"). So the "correct" fore-end length according to the mean is about 9.3"

Personally I like the idea of using the golden mean, especially for rifles employing a barrel mounted sling mount. With a fore-end mounted sling mount it becomes more problematic form a function standpoint.

Do you have photos of your rifles? I would like to see how the shorter fore-ends look with the longer(25") barrels.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that I got it, I will write it on the wall over the bench.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
Do you have photos of your rifles? I would like to see how the shorter fore-ends look with the longer(25") barrels.

Have posted these pics before but the first is my 7x57 with a 7 3/4 forend and to make it 9.3in would destroy the very style I wanted.

My 404 has since had the forend slimmed down a bit to take the blockiness away but again it is on the borderline of length at 8 3/4 and I have considered taking it back nearly to 8in and lightening the forend further.

My 20VarTarg is a varmint rifle and out of place for the discussion we are having.
Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2684 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Von Gruff:

Have posted these pics before but the first is my 7x57 with a 7 3/4 forend and to make it 9.3in would destroy the very style I wanted.

Von Gruff.

Agreed.

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
There are some arenas in which the golden ratio is just perfect...I don't think rifle forends is one of them. JMHO

one of us
posted Hide Post
You are taking me back to my Architecture school days.

Tendrams - Love the images.

If anyone would like a more indepth understanding also see Fibonacci number or sequence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibonacci_number

Posts: 219 | Location: Reading, PA | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
There are some arenas in which the golden ratio is just perfect...I don't think rifle forends is one of them. JMHO

It might not be "perfect", and it doesn't have to be a major factor in your proportion calculations, but that doesn't mean it doesn't still just look right somehow. For example, I really like the proportions on the 404 Jeffrey above.

When I measure on the screen and run the numbers I come up with a ratio of 1.66. Pretty close to 1.62. I happen to think this looks just about right.

For that matter, I happen to think there are three appropriate lengths for a forearm:

1. Full length Mannlicher or military style.
2. Half stock. (ends at midpoint of barrel, sling swivels attached to stock)
3. Short. (golden ratio establishes pleasing length in relation to barrel, barrel mounted sling swivel at exact midpoint of barrel)

Minor variations are certainly OK, but I think forearms past the mid point look funny, especially if they also use a barrel mounted sling swivel. Just my aesthetic opinion FWIW.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
I think there was a Sports Afield article about this not too long ago.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the 7x57 and 404 have been designed to mimic the Rigby look (and succeed) Personaly I prefer a longer fore end.