New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stupid caliber
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't care what others may say, I like my 460.
It has a big muzzle brake so there is another reason for people to hate it.
I load it with 114 grains of H414 and it shoots (all 500 gr.) Barnes Banded Solids, TSXs, and Hornady softs and all to about a 1 1/2" group.
I have hunted with it in RSA and Moz, so far no survivors.

Mark

Posts: 1230 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmfic1:
Why have a 460 and download it?

Might as well set back + rechamer to WM or the Lott (if possible) or re-barrel. Less hastle with brass too.

Do you run every where you go, drive your car as fast as it will go, do everything in your life as fast as you can? Your bullets do not have to go as fast as possible either.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load my 460 to near max always.
If I want to go slower or lighter I use my 450 Watts or 458 Win, or 45/70 or 45 Colt. So yes I always load near max and use a caliber that gives me the velocity and bullet weight I need.

Mark

Posts: 1230 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had George Hoffmans 460 Wby custom for awhile after George got sick, and it was hell on wheels, recoil was not only a push, it had some snap to it also..also it knocked the living s--t out of buffalo. It hit them so hard it took all the fun out of buffalo hunting!! flame

If you can get it for a "couple of grand" you would be silly not to buy a Marcel Thys for that kind of money, in any caliber.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41897 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
It's only stupid if you don't hunt with it.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1431 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why the 460 or anything that big? Because for most shooters, these big rifles represent a "Dream Hunt" some time in their future. It is this hope of something bigger and better in the future that we all look forward to.

As for a "stupid cartridge" it is only stupid if all of the possibilies are not considered. In the minds of the beholder.

One of Us
Picture of 460 wby shooter
posted Hide Post
The 460 is the only caliber that have used that absolutely flattened a bison, my 416 rem smacks them good also but not like the 460.

Posts: 817 | Location: jimtown ND | Registered: 21 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
White line spacers may be a thing of the past, but hyper velocity not standing the test of time? Really. That might be the preposterous statement of the year. Since Weatherby enter 7mm Rem mag, 300 win mag (those arn't very popular), the RUMs (just don't sell), the WSMs (easy come, easy go), 338 Lapua doesn't look like it is gaining any ground. The only reason anyone develops little, slow cartidges now is to try to improve performance in the AR frame. Roy was a good salesman, but his theory on velocity and "killing power" has not been outgrown or proven wrong just yet.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great thing about the 460 is you can light load it and still have good performance on large game

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Great thing about 9.3X70 Expert Express is that it can approach 338 Lapua velocities...or so the brass maker said!

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quintus:
White line spacers may be a thing of the past, but hyper velocity not standing the test of time? Really. That might be the preposterous statement of the year. Since Weatherby enter 7mm Rem mag, 300 win mag (those arn't very popular), the RUMs (just don't sell), the WSMs (easy come, easy go), 338 Lapua doesn't look like it is gaining any ground. The only reason anyone develops little, slow cartidges now is to try to improve performance in the AR frame. Roy was a good salesman, but his theory on velocity and "killing power" has not been outgrown or proven wrong just yet.

Shooting is not all about killing power.
There appears to be an economic limit to velocity and barrel life. There is also a limit to the distance most knuckle heads can hit their targets in the field.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:
Great thing about 9.3X70 Expert Express is that it can approach 338 Lapua velocities...or so the brass maker said!

The old Hermann Göring caliber will duplicate a .340Wea feet by feet. meter by meter.
Its a smacker!!.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's true, but the knuckle heads that can't shoot don't worry about barrel life or cost...they don't shoot, and they are usually too drunk to climb their tree and hunt too. That all has nothing to do with gunmakers making money and staying in business. The 460 is a novelty, but it fills the factory bill for the biggest, baddest, and is gaudy enough to look like the best. It would also appear to be quite effective as well. I was just saying it was the start of a continueing trend.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you don't like the 460 then don't buy one!