Find
Notify
Tools

2-R Lovell. lokking for info
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
greetings,
My father gave me an old single shot custom build rifle he called the 22 2R Lovell and I am looking for any info I can find.
This rifle was built in the '40s. The barrel is half hectagon 1/2 round with a double set trigger. With what I call a "quigly" style action if I recall this was base off the .25-20 single shot cartrigde.

Anyone familar with this?
Will post pics as soon as I figure out how.
Thanks

..."its not a collection if you only have one"....

Posts: 102 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 17 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was Griffin & Howe creation, I believe. It was a 22-3000, or a necked down 250-3000 Savage. I have what are probably the original dies used to form the caliber....the "2R Lovell" is hand-etched on the dies with a dremel. I also have some original G&H headstamped brass for the 22 Lovell as well. I obtained the dies and cases with a bunch of other old stuff from the G&H store when they remodeled.

Posts: 20106 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pictures would help a lot, also a picture of a fired case. There are around three common Lovell cartridges.

If you will send me your email I'll send you a copy of an original booklet on the Lovell.

They are built using the .25-20 Single-Shot case. The original cartridge was designed and introduced by Hervey Lovell in the May 1934 issue of American Rifleman.

I've owned and shot all three, the .22-3000 Lovell, the .22-3000 R-2 Lovell and the .22-3000 Maximum.

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe Ken Waters has info on them in his "Pet Loads" book.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Stevespages has line drawings of the various Lovell rounds. I have an old 1935 Model 70 Winchester .22 Hornet barrel that some knot head rechambered. It is marked 22-3000 R2.

If anyone has dies they want to sell....

Jamison was making the brass but Jamison recently shut down.

Oh yeah for the eggspurts go to the ASSRA forum

ASSRA is American Singleshot Rifle Association.

If you can provide photos of the rifle it would be nice. That "Quigley" action is probably valuable. Something like a Winchester Highwall or a Stevens 44 1/2.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My father said this was some kind of 22 target rifle rebarreled.

The only marks on the action are behind the trigger guard towards the grip and it is stamped 9818

I will read up on posting photos and see if I can figger it out.
No other ID marks on the rifle

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrbofus:

The only marks on the action are behind the trigger guard towards the grip and it is stamped 9818

I sent you an email about loading your photos.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I sent you an PM about loading your photos.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
There is the 2R Lovell, and the 22-3000 Lovell...not the same animal...As originally stated the Lovell cartridges are from the 25-20 Single Shot, not the 25-20 Winchester case as seen below:

The R-2 [2R] is the modern blow out version of the 22-3000, both Lovell designs. It is sort of the Ackley version of the other.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carolina Man
posted Hide Post
Jamison was making the brass but Jamison recently shut down.

I have a hundred rounds of Jamison 25-20 SS brass if anyone needs to purchase it.

Aaron

"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau

Posts: 135 | Location: Hurricane Alley North Carolina | Registered: 26 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
And the "Lovell" is for Hervey (not Harvey) Lovell, who designed the cartridge, not Griffin or Howe.

It was a famous varmint cartridge, not primarily a target cartridge, the principal fame of which was woodchuck shooting, especially in New York, the New England states, Ontario, and Quebec.

Though it did not father the .222 Remington, it did lead to its development by Mike Walker and its adoption by Remington as a factory round to fill the niche which had been created by the Lovell and earlier cartridges very much like it.

It was also to be had in a .17 version.

For a good book on this series of rifle cartridges, and others of the same era and ilk, read the C.S. Landis book, "Twenty Two Caliber Varmint Rifles" published by the Small Arms Technical Publishing Company in 1947. The book is over 500 pages, hard bound, and is a thorough documentation of the development of varmint cartridges in the U.S.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
quote:

I sent you an PM about loading your photos.

I will do that, Thank you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pictured below is from the left.
223 R2 Lovell R2 Lovell R2 Lovell 222 225

Below are the headstamps

Mine were formed from 22-3000 G&H
I bought dies from Biebs

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OKH
Your dimensions are not the same as my brass. My OAL is 1.625, my shoulder diameter is the same, my distance to the begining of the shoulder to the base is approx. 1.290, the neck is .250, and the shoulder is .085 in height.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rifle in question,

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael Petrov,

Thanks for posting the pictures for me.
The bottom picture shows the 2-r lovell empty and loaded cartridge on the left compared to a standard Rem .223 on the right.
The case bottoms read REM UMC 25-20

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone have anymore thoughts or suggestions about this?
Where could I get "new"brass to reload, I understand the old brass becomes brittle.
I would like to load and shot some rounds with this someday.

If not in this configuration,
what could bemade with this action/barrel?

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
quote:

At risk of being accused of butting-in - this is a historic varmint rifle and the thought of rebarelling to something else is just plain wrong ...

You will certainly be able to find brass to reform , or very possibly the correct 2-R brass in sufficient quantities to use your rifle , but please dont alter it.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4460 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
quote:

At risk of being accused of butting-in - this is a historic varmint rifle and the thought of rebarelling to something else is just plain wrong ...

You will certainly be able to find brass to reform , or very possibly the correct 2-R brass in sufficient quantities to use your rifle , but please dont alter it.

No offense taken,
I really would like to keep it as it is if it can be used or if the value is such that I put it back in the safe and keep it "just for lookin'".

I need to find someone near me would would be able to put a value on this.
Thanks for you input

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If brittle, you can anneal the brass.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rifle is a Remington Hepburn. The double set triggers reveal it to be a target model. This is the type of rifle used, along with the Sharps and Winchester High Walls, to compete in the Dewer matches, shot at 800, 900 and 1,000 yards, which were then popular.

The action is the truly valuable part of that rifle. I would think that single shot target shooters would die for it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe I still have contact info for a Hepburn for around $650. It is a custom in 219 Wasp I believe.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:

where might I find info on doing this?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:

where might I find info on doing this?

there is an article about annealing on the benchrest site 6mmbr.

Just remember anneal only the neck and shoulder.
The color change might extend .250 down the body past the shoulder but do not get the head of the case hot.

Near the end of the article Rich Desimone explains how he does it and I use the same process. With my technique I only use the heat about 4 seconds so no matter what technique it does not take long. I would practice on a lot of cases that are not so dear as the 25-20 Single Shot cases. BTW the last time I checked the Jamison Brass site still had new .25-20 Single Shot brass for sale.

Annealing on 6mmBR