New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom gun auction alert
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have no idea if this is the correct forum for this alert, it would not hurt my feelings if it was edited or moved. I have no relationship to the seller or auction house.

There is an "estate dispersal auction" in Lennox SD by Geoman auction service on the proxibid site. It closes 11/4. Among the ~250+ items appear to be several jems. Many are "new or test fired only". There are custom rifles by Dale Goens, Stan McFarland, M Hagn, and Larry Brace along with many, many "custom stocked" rifles by Brace and other unnamed stockers. There are also many, many Kimbers, Winchesters, some Dakota, many colts and some nice production firearms and knives.

It is worth going through the pictures on a large screen as neither the executor of this estate nor the auction house seem to understand the quality of some of these pieces. I am in a dispersal rather than acquisition mode so I won't be a bidder, but I think it will be very interesting to see what some of these bring. If you are a bidder, good luck.

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love Larry Brace’s work. He was very talented.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3290 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
web site sucks and even i take better pictures. A few nice rifles , too bad about the scope on the Hagn

Posts: 6422 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting.

I may bid on the Dakota 22.

I'm also not sure what a .22/6mm is (6mm Rem necked down to .224?), but I also may bid on that Grisel/Brace as well.

Doug

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few real jems. Wonder how it all ended up on the auction block. It's always sad to see things that were obviously loved, end up on the sale block...as if whomever owned them had no family or friends worthy of passing them along.

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lockingblock:
It's always sad to see things that were obviously loved, end up on the sale block...as if whomever owned them had no family or friends worthy of passing them along.

I see it as a wake up call.....all the 'things' we obsess over and covet are all to soon just 'stuff' our heirs may care nothing about. Helps to keep things in perspective.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3103 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
The champlain listing has a pic of a M70 also. I wonder if you get both. I emailed but they never replied

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
web site sucks and even i take better pictures. A few nice rifles , too bad about the scope on the Hagn

What’s wrong with it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
The champlain listing has a pic of a M70 also. I wonder if you get both. I emailed but they never replied

Link?

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget that the final price with be 15% above your bid price, plus shipping.

Posts: 20124 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
quote:
Originally posted by lockingblock:
It's always sad to see things that were obviously loved, end up on the sale block...as if whomever owned them had no family or friends worthy of passing them along.

I see it as a wake up call.....all the 'things' we obsess over and covet are all to soon just 'stuff' our heirs may care nothing about. Helps to keep things in perspective.

+1

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$8000 for the Dakota .22 + 15% = $9200.

No, not mine.

Doug

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend called and quoted some results on prices for some of the custom rifles sold today. Prices seemed quite high to me given the fact that this auction house is not well known in gun circles, their descriptions of guns were very limited and poor (or inaccurate in some cases), and the market for custom rifles these days is "soft."

A real shocker--one of the Remington 40X Sporters (22 rimfire) sold for $15,000!!! Totally and completely unbelievable to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was very surprised at the price of the Kimbers. I never got a good impression from them but wow...that’s real money.

The Beretta shotguns went fairly cheap.

The 350 Norma looked good and went cheap...25-06, 6mm went fairly cheap. The Hagn looks good but it’s hard to judge without seeing the bore.

Some great shotguns went cheap.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bid $4500 on the pre-64 Winchester in 7mm Weatherby. I called the auction house to get more information on the rifle, wanted to know if they had any idea who the maker was.

Gentleman was very helpful, says it is marked M. Ottmar on the barrel. He had no clue who that was.

I didn't win but if you know who did I'd like a chance to buy that rifle from him.

Doug

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say that auction brought in some real money.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1174 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote