THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    M98 303 brit bottom metal: Anybody ever made them other than Oberndorf?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M98 303 brit bottom metal: Anybody ever made them other than Oberndorf?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I understand that Oberndorf made a small number of M98 actions in 303 Brit for Rigby very early on. Has any modern maker of 98 bottom metal made, or is currently offering bottom metal for this caliber? Were the original 98 303 actions any different than standard, apart from the bottom metal? If anyone has an original Rigby 98 in 303, could you post some pics of the action/bottom metal? I wonder if there in enough interest out there to warrent a run of this bottom metal to be made? Mr. Wiebe, if you read this, what do you think? Just stirring the pod.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of specimens of the .303 "slant-box Rigby" actions. They are intermediate length with a specialized bolt nose and extractor for the rimmed case. They look a lot like Siamese Mauser bottoms. Mine had the original bolt nose cut off and and a standard one welded back. Huntingcat re-modified one to work with rimmed rounds and I rebarreled that one to 30-40 Krag. I'm saving the other in hopes of running into the correct bolt and making it back into a restored Rigby style .303. I belive there other calibers as well.

I'll post some pictures when I get home tonight. I'd send one to Rr. Weibe as a loaner too, but I doubt the demand would be high enough to justfy a production run.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is what Rigby imported and used for the 400/350 rimmed cartridge:

The same action was used (as here) for the rimless .350 Rigby Magnum.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I have always wondered why they put that step in the front end of the receiver ring.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it was to allow the use of larger objectives when using claw mounts, which have to tip forward to disengage. At least that's what I've been told.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can the standard 98 bolt be modified to work with 303 Brit without too much trouble?

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is mine...

These rifles holds six rounds. 5+1

As I have been shooting this rifle here he first 5 shots feeds perfect, but the last round needs a little wiggle woggle.
I also have 400/350 laying around, and after been working these guns, I can only confess, that the slantbox magazine works the way is was intented. The cartridges aline perfect. I have tried for fun just to take another Mauser and fed it with rimmed cartriges, and it do not work as the cartridges stump the bulletnose below the feedingramp.
If I were you Colorado Matt..I would find a siamese mauser in 8x52Rimmed, and sacrifice the gun. To make a slantbox would require that the gunmaker atleast could have an original Rigbymauser to copy. The would help on the time issue( $$$$$).

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Yes. The curve of the extractor has to be re-reduced from 7 0'clock to 9 o'clock to allow the rim to slide under it, as does the rim around the bolt head.

In a "real" .303 or other rimmed bolt the extractor is completely different in that the hook only engages the rim at the 9 o'clock position; not from 7 to 11 like a rimless extractor. The left lug is longer like a '96 to control that side of the rim as the bolt begins to help control the round while moving into battery. I couldn't get online last night and will try again tonight to post some more pictures of the differences.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IIRC this .303 M98 belongs to a forum member.

303brit. & .276 Enfield. .. IF someone has a picture of the ".303 magnum" cartridge please share it with us.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Here are some more details:

This a Mauser rimmed extractor on the right compared to a rimmless:

This is my bolt with the standard rimmed head and extractor modified to feed 30-40 Krag:

FWIW, the trigger is also longer because of the extra depth of the guard in the rear, so aftermarket M98 triggers won't look right.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the pics and info fellas. Just so cool. BTW, the front ring on the 303 98 action looks a little shorter than standard. Am I correct?

Matt
FISH!!

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I don't think so. But mine is a transitional intermediate action with small barrel threads on a large front ring.

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
tiggertate , could you please refresh those pics of the bolt & bits ?
Im looking at making one up & would very much like to see them !

Thank you .

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Informative thread, very nice rifles.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Sorry; back up now.

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for that !

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote