Find
Notify
Tools

Custom 96's
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
I realise it's not the standard action for custom work, but has anyone used a '96 Mauser action for a custom job, high end sporter, switch barrel, anything ??
I've always been a fan of the M96, I have a few, and I always thought it would be nice as a two barrel unit in 6.5x55 and 9.3x57, ( or my own 6.5 and 9.3 x55 Imp. ) synthetic stock, satin nickel, 24" 6.5 with standard style 'scope and 21" 9.3 barrel with scout style setup.....maybe even a box mag conversion.
Good all weather setup.....

Roger

Posts: 1041 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one here now converting it to 45acp. I have to get back to it and get the feeding right so it can get gone. also did a full stocked sporter years ago for a client.

Posts: 978 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out Boxhead's Wisner/Speiser 7x57 custom 96:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...641046591#2641046591

It really don't get much better than that!

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3290 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On Ed Lapour Gunsmithing site he shows a few pics of his custon 96 Mauser with his 3position safety.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 96 action has its strength limitations. But I'm guessing it is a little lighter than a 98. If you stick to standard calibers such as 6.5X55 and 9.3X57, the 96 can make a nice hunting rifle. I have sold several imported 96 commercial sporters in 9.3X57 to hunters who hunt elk in timber. Those 286 grain Bullets seem to do the trick.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2147 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 1896 Mauser is a very nice action. I like them almost as much as the 98....almost. They are a bit lighter, shorter and slimmer than the standard 98 action. Most of the Swedish 96 actions are extremely well made and smooth. There are those out there who make a fuss over the 96 action not having a 3rd locking lug like the 98 actions. Mostly this is just nitpicking if you ask me. With classic cartridges like the 6.5x55, 7x57, and 8x57, the 96 is the ideal intermediate action size. Kimber converted 96 actions to .308 Winchester for a few years and they worked fine also.

Ed Lapour makes a very nice 3 position safety for the 96 actions if you plan on using a scope. Adjustable triggers and scope bases are available. Most of the major barrel makers sell pre threaded barrels for the smaller thread diameter of these actions.

Here is a beautiful custom 96 built by Dorleac & Dorleac of France : http://forums.nitroexpress.com...742&page=1&fpart=all

Also Scottish maker Daniel Fraser built some very classy rifles on the earlier but quite similar 95 action : http://www.hallowellco.com/danl%20fraser%20360.htm

Wyatt

Posts: 239 | Location: Southeast USA | Registered: 01 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
35 Remington on a 96 Swedish. The Swedes felt no need to ever make a 98 action so they use the 96 for everything.

Posts: 17166 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ALL receivers and brass cases have strength limitations and as long as whatever caliber you use is loaded below those limitations there isn't ANY reason other than maybe case size that limits it's use.

You can find strength limits for some receivers on the SAMMI site and in other reputable sites and responsible publications that list RECOMMENDED LIMITS, so if you're smart you will follow those limitations irregardless of all the BS that is scattered all over the net by those without any real knowledge of rifle building, metallurgy or much of anything else except the questionable ability to copy and repeat the BS...ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

Yes, the Swedish M96 is a very desirable receiver to use and the 6.5 x 55 is a VERY good cartridge that will handle most worldwide game and I've often wondered should I mess up one of my Swedes by rebarreling to a larger diameter caliber, but because I have many larger calibers already I "just said NO".

The 9.3x57 is such a easy conversion and well within the pressure limits, if I did go south that is the one I would do. Wink

Luck beer tu2

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Some very nice rifles there....I have a major thing for Daniel Fraser rifles, they are gorgeous, I'm doing a Fraser style stock for my 7x57 Rimmed in a No.I Mk. III Enfield......one more question, the 360 2 1/4 NE.....is that rimmed or 9.3x57 or 9.5x57 or what ??

Roger

Posts: 1041 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yumastepside:
Some very nice rifles there....I have a major thing for Daniel Fraser rifles, they are gorgeous, I'm doing a Fraser style stock for my 7x57 Rimmed in a No.I Mk. III Enfield......one more question, the 360 2 1/4 NE.....is that rimmed or 9.3x57 or 9.5x57 or what ??
Roger

It is a rimmed straight walled case.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3290 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
For certain Cartridges the 96's are the perfect length, 257 Roberts for one.
I chose a 96 action that has the solid left side (no thumb cut)had it converted to cock on open because I prefer that feel, Timney trigger, Gentry 3 position safety (no longer available), Pac Nor super match ultra light contour 23", Warne steel bases Warne rings.
I re shaped the original "Husky" stock.
Carries and points great, pin point accurate with 117 Sierra's and drops big Mule Deer and Antelope in their tracks. Someday I may put it in a nice stock but for now I love hunting with it.

This is how it shoots, getting it sighted in with new scope

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
nice stalking rifle Snellstrom, thanks for the clarification Matt, seems an odd choice of case for a mauser ??

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger , there was a discussion recently on another forum regarding the Fraser rifles and rimmed cartridges. You can read it here :

http://forums.nitroexpress.com...=0&page=2#Post293153

Generally, Mausers chambered for rimmed cartridges required a slant box magazine. The Siamese Mausers had this feature as did some early Rigbys.

The consensus was that Fraser rifles marked ".303" were not chambered for the rimmed 303 British. They were actually chambered for the proprietary 303 Fraser cartridge that was in fact rimless. The rifles marked 360 Nitro were also determined to be chambered for a rimless 9.3 cartridge. Possibly the 9.3x57.

The actions Fraser used was the earlier 1895 action rather than the 1896. Interesting stuff .

Wyatt

Posts: 239 | Location: Southeast USA | Registered: 01 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The M96 receiver can be used for MANY calibers up to 44 cal using the x57 case and/or the semi-rimmed 444 Marlin case at the standard 6,5x55 2.25"/3.15" original COAL and at the SAAMMI 55kpsi original pressure limit and 57-60 gr case capacity, in a very simple, easy to do conversion as most of the barrel makers will make you a screw-in, pre-fit thread, chamber and crowned (or anything in between) barrel for all the Mauser receivers...and very little mucking about with the feed rails for the most part as the case taper stays the same until you get up into the larger cals.

My 375 JDJ, AKA 9.5x57, AKA 375x444 feeds OK in two Swedes and also in my Savage Axis clip fed conversion and for that matter in my Marlin switch barrel 356 Win, 444 M, 458 American/45-70.

My 26" 375x444 is neck and neck velocity wise with my chopped down 20" 375 H&H with the 260 gr Nos Part...~2700 fs +/- 25 fs...something to think about when comparing 20" BBL'ed rifles to longer "standard" length tubes.

Should have thought about this easy conversion way back when the Swedes were basically a dime a dozen...ah, well.

You can also jack up the 6.5x55 pressures in a modern Rem/Win/Sav/etc. receiver if you absolutely have to, but that isn't really needed except in the mind...if you think you need more...GET A BIGGER GUN. shocker Big Grin

LUCK beer tu2