Find
Notify
Tools

404 Jeff
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
x

Posts: 3489 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Posts: 10260 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes it is very nice.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Hit the sweet spot once again for sure.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yowzer!

You do really nice work.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Goal attained.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Almost too purty to carry or shoot! Nice.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, so you milled the guts out of a solid bottom action for this? Now you are scaring me.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle!

Jim

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great rifle. Great work Duane.

As to be expected!

What cartridge was the rifle when a single shot?

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1915 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Super nice tu2

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What does it weigh?

How many cartridges will it hold?

How long did it take to build?

Beautiful rifle.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
This was a big project. Action was a single shot and was engraved by Roger Kehr. Kreiger barrel slimmed down, Roger Vardy wood, my bottom metal with catvity floor plate. My T D grip cap, front ramp is a discontinued Wisner Extended top and bottom tangs, Suhler claw mounts. Goal was a rugged hunting rifle without excessive embellishments.

holycow
Beautiful work indeed.

I like the terminology "cavity floor plate" (beats "coffin" or "pocket") with your bank-vault-solid bottom metal. tu2

Owner needs to get another scope. Having the front ring tightened down on the objective lens is not of ultimate reliability.

Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
https://home.nra.org/

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
Super sweet! Real class right there.

Posts: 864 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Duane is that the new floor plate you're supplying with the 4MJ bottom metal?

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another beauty Duane, as usual for your work.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be fun to see it from the bolt side.

what brand of action was made into a single shot?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Beautiful build. I am sure it will nicely compliment the owner's existing collection.

Mike

Posts: 21360 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Looks like a serious hunting tool to me. Well done as usual.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by capoward:

Extra cost....A standard floorplat e can be made to JUST barely hold four down and single load. The cavity (about .140 deep) makes it a slam dunk
Is the Cavity floor plate the same as the Pocket style floor plate listed on your website?

Jim coffee
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle.The stock looks great without the ebony forearm tip.Is that the original trigger lever?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great job Duane! What is your source for the Shuler claw mount components? I've been looking for an alternative to Recknagel and EAW--not that anything is wrong with them. I like the transverse locking bar in the rear square bridge. Is that something you made? Thanks for your help.

Roger

Posts: 476 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well knock me down with a feather!
The front ring is near flush with the air and gripping the empty end of the scope tube and the objective lens is set back behind that ... faint

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
quote:
This was a big project. Action was a single shot and was engraved by Roger Kehr. Kreiger barrel slimmed down, Roger Vardy wood, my bottom metal with catvity floor plate. My T D grip cap, front ramp is a discontinued Wisner Extended top and bottom tangs, Suhler claw mounts. Goal was a rugged hunting rifle without excessive embellishments.

holycow
Beautiful work indeed.

I like the terminology "cavity floor plate" (beats "coffin" or "pocket") with your bank-vault-solid bottom metal. tu2

Owner needs to get another scope. Having the front ring tightened down on the objective lens is not of ultimate reliability.

GASP ! Thought this puppy was put to bed! The ring misses the lens completely. The lens is set back a full 7/8 inch from the end of the tube.

The ring is in about the safest location possible since there is no direct pressure over the lens

Not good!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess this is why we have the forums. Gives the great unwashed neophyte a way to coach the master.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
I guess this is why we have the forums. Gives the great unwashed neophyte a way to coach the master.

Yep, a sexagenarian neophyte with over a half century of gunnuttery, trained in engineering, medicine, accounting, and general studies, two bachelor's degrees and one doctoral, postdoctoral training certified and self-taught multiple hobby training too, in no particular order.

Sure it might last a while on something as gentle as a 404 Jeffery, but the front ring placement on the scope is not optimal.
A compressive force aggravated by recoil will be more likely to deform the tube at the very end, more so than if it had an extension of tube well beyond the leading edge of the ring.
Hopefully it is epoxied or soldered (scope to ring) and does not rely on torguing of the ring screws alone.

Maybe a screw-in scope cover like Leupold offers will strengthen it.
Or just put a cork in it.
If the objective lens is recessed that far from the empty end of the tube, there is enough room for a cork stopper!

Someone is better attached to his scope than his rifle is.

Seems like an extension ring could be had if dead set on that scope.
Hopefully with same height mounting.

That fat 30mm scope mounted like that on such a svelte and functional rifle is like fingernails on a chalkboard.
Even for an unwashed neophyte like me. hilbily

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thirdbite:
rotflmo

+1

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Thanks Duane.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll try and think of a good place for that cork stopper

I was grinning when I typed it. LOL when Duane repeated it. My turn again. Please allow me to "Put A Cork In iT" ... PACIT ... rotflmo
(Sounds like Latin for "I give up." Speak it in Classical Latin pronunciation, not Ecclesiastical Latin.) animal

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I always thought the old Zeiss 1.5-4.5x18mm scopes were pretty cool!

BUT - that scope looks fine on that rifle!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3052 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why have you used the "Einhakmontage" - it is by far the most beautifull mount, but it may - only may - make problems and it is by far the most expensive mount!

Posts: 561 | Location: northern Germany | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is properly done, nearly or no Problems! But here you can see a lot of "Trouble-Einhakmontages"!
But I think (I have several), it is by far the most beautifull and the easiest to remove Mount!

Posts: 561 | Location: northern Germany | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big guns are here to stay. This 404 is based on a re-heat treated 1909 Argentine, added square bridge makes the rear lock up for the claw mounts. Back up scope. These fiber optic front sights really stand out and there's an extra in the trap cap.

The quarter rib holds both front claw foot as well as my clone of the Brno rear sight.

The wood is dense thin shelled walnut treated with alkenet root. Engraving by Roger Kehr.

Posts: 3489 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr Wiebe:

IMHO this is what a 404 should look like ! tu2

Dimensionally this rifle is pleasing and "typical" for the genre it represents.

This IMO is the basis and essential element for any build. ( As they say "you can dress up a pig it still remains a pig" ) and this ain't no pig

The rest then follows like exceptional workmanship !

Very well done Sir clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another masterpiece for sure! There is just something about that scope setup I don't care for.
Very tastefully done rifle.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:
Another masterpiece for sure! There is just something about that scope setup I don't care for.
Very tastefully done rifle.

Yes indeed another masterpiece .
Thought I was the only one that thinks the scope set out just looks a little strange-out of place on 404 rifle

Posts: 487 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can’t wait to get my hands on this rifle and shoot it. I just love the lines on this rifle. Awesome job.

Posts: 130 | Location: Ozarks | Registered: 04 August 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm Not quite sure how this new rifle ended up as an addition to older post. But looks like scope/ring placement needs comment.(AGAIN)

Front ring and foot is just where it has to be. As the lockup is released at the rear, you have to raise the rear to disengage the front lock up (claw)

If the objective extended beyond the front ring, the scope would hit the barrel (or quarter rib in his case) and you could not remove the scope.

The front ring is placed well in front of the lens and no...it's not soldered (Aluminum tube ) I use liquid electricians tape inside the rings. Experience shows me that this holds up to even a 500 Jeff as do the time proven Suhler claw mounts.

Yes, the rear lock up is made here in the shop. The "cavity" floor plate is about .140" deep as opposed to about .375" in the coffin plate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hmmm Not quite sure how this new rifle ended up as an addition to older post. But looks like scope/ring placement needs comment.(AGAIN)

Front ring and foot is just where it has to be. As the lockup is released at the rear, you have to raise the rear to disengage the front lock up (claw)

If the objective extended beyond the front ring, the scope would hit the barrel (or quarter rib in his case) and you could not remove the scope.

The front ring is placed well in front of the lens and no...it's not soldered (Aluminum tube ) I use liquid electricians tape inside the rings. Experience shows me that this holds up to even a 500 Jeff as do the time proven Suhler claw mounts.

Yes, the rear lock up is made here in the shop. The "cavity" floor plate is about .140" deep as opposed to about .375" in the coffin plate.

The scope mounts are world class , but that scope is just plain Butt Ugly hammering

Posts: 487 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Har! Yes.kinda reminds me of an airplane cockpit....But...the optics and features are simply marvelous

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by capoward:

Man...sorry to have let this slip by,,,the answer is "yes"