THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Parker-Hale for a .257 Roberts Sporter Build?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Parker-Hale for a .257 Roberts Sporter Build?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Stumbled on a PH .270 made in Birmingham England today in a pawn shop. A little rough around the edges cosmetically but appears to be mechanically perfect. For $250 I figured I couldn't go too far wrong. It looks like a commercial mauser action comparable to a Mark X. I have been kicking around a .257 Roberts AI build in a light sporter configuration. With the standard length action I should be able to shoot any .257 bullet available and I would guess being a mauser based cartridge that feeding should be a non-issue.

Anybody have any experience building on these actions? Any issues I am missing?

I don't particularly care for the PH style of stock but the wood is ok. I am thinking about having the stock re-shaped and refinished or having a custom stock made. I want something nice but not overly nice since this will be a field grade gun and likely my kids will be using it some. Any recommendations on stock makers?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 116 | Location: Montana | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks thirdbite, any markings to identify the Santa Barbara. I read that some were made by BSA and some by Zastava at different times. I don't know if one is preferable over the other.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is a Santa Barbara, it will likely have SPAIN stamped on the side of the rear tang. You have to pull the action to see it.

There is nothing wrong with any of the Parker Hale actions regardless of origin. All would make great 257 Bob rifles. Even better in the AI version, but that is just me.

As for one being better than another, they are all standard M98 pattern actions, and take all of the aftermarket parts.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will pull it when I get a chance. It has the sliding safety and gold trigger for sure. I will have to check later on the floor plate and trigger but I believe it is aluminum as you mention.

Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tha Santa Barbara actions are C ring, thats a positive for them.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Those actions are very strong. Musgrave in RSA used to make a range of rifles on them as well.

I have seen a .270 that fired a .308 in it. on the SECOND shot, it blew back and blew the magazine floorplate out as well as splintering the stock around the action.

The bolt could not be opened. The owner was unhurt but very indignant .... Wink

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bren7X64:
Those actions are very strong. Musgrave in RSA used to make a range of rifles on them as well.

I have seen a .270 that fired a .308 in it. on the SECOND shot, it blew back and blew the magazine floorplate out as well as splintering the stock around the action.

On the SECOND shot??? Hahaha. Persistence doesn't always pay off I guess!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monttrap04:
Stumbled on a PH .270 made in Birmingham England today in a pawn shop. A little rough around the edges cosmetically but appears to be mechanically perfect. For $250 I figured I couldn't go too far wrong. It looks like a commercial mauser action comparable to a Mark X. I have been kicking around a .257 Roberts AI build in a light sporter configuration. With the standard length action I should be able to shoot any .257 bullet available and I would guess being a mauser based cartridge that feeding should be a non-issue.

Anybody have any experience building on these actions? Any issues I am missing?

I don't particularly care for the PH style of stock but the wood is ok. I am thinking about having the stock re-shaped and refinished or having a custom stock made. I want something nice but not overly nice since this will be a field grade gun and likely my kids will be using it some. Any recommendations on stock makers?

Thanks in advance.

Both Parker Hale and Santa Barbara actions were made at La Conderra sp armory in Spain.Supposedly to different specifications .I have one in 6mm rem as well as one barrelled to 240 Weatherby.I have a magnum in 7 rem mag.The stocks for the 1200 action were an Italian design caled Sile.

Posts: 227 | Location: West Central Sask | Registered: 16 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monttrap04:
quote:
Originally posted by Bren7X64:

On the SECOND shot??? Hahaha. Persistence doesn't always pay off I guess!

Yep, the buyer was VERY inexperienced and the gunshop guy was just a total dick who couldn't be bothered to check whether the calibre on the gun was what he thought it was.

The buyer fired the first and worked the bolt and loaded a second. I don't know the buyer, but met the seller and saw the gun.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote