THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    318 Westley Richards coming along
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

318 Westley Richards coming along
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted
Decided to have a 318 built a while back. Wanted it done in the style of the original WR rifles. I contacted Soroka 1 a member here on AR. We came up with a plan and I sent the parts off.A brief overview of the parts:

Original Mauser Banner action with rear square bridge added, we kept the Banner.
Walnut from Roger Vardy, ebony tip added.
Blackburn bottom metal, with Dressel's trigger.
Krieger barrel recontoured to our liking.
Thin Pachmayr pad.
Front and rear sights from NECG.
McLaughlin Gunworks striker mounted peep sight.

Gun heads out Friday for rust blue, then back to me for stock finish then it heads out to Tim Smith Lyons for checkering. Added a few progress pictures, hope you like them.

Posts: 753 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle. An instant classic.

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
Can you see through the peep over the rear bridge or does it need to come down some?

I salute your choice of caliber!

Posts: 440 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by postoak:
Can you see through the peep over the rear bridge or does it need to come down some?

I salute your choice of caliber!

Yes there is plenty of room to see over it. Also in the photo posted the rear bridge has not been milled to final height.

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
WOW!!! shocker That WOOD!!!!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lokin good..Classic look all around...I think the bolt handle is a bit long, however. Kinda like Meryl Sreep...otherwise fine looks but nose a bit alarming

Posts: 3489 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Lookin good..Classic look all around...I think the bolt handle is a bit long, however. Kinda like Meryl Streep...otherwise fine looks but nose a bit alarming

Duane,
Coming from a man with your reputation and talent, I'm sure Ben (Soroka1) will take your comments as a big compliment. He has already built a trim 7x57 for my wife and it came out simply stunning. He is also building a 404 Jeffery for me to go along with the 318.

posted Hide Post
Beautiful, A true Classic. Love the wood.

We Slowed down on my project and have not started. Hopefully be able to share photos in months to come.

Great to see more and more.318 WR projects. !!!

Share more photos when you have time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle!!

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sweet

Posts: 224 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
very NICE. Great caliber. I just had a 338/06 built. Quite similar. My stock is not done yet though.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle.

Love that cocking piece sight.

DRSS

Posts: 1916 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John,

Very nice! Are you planning on scoping the 318?

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12914 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
John,

Very nice! Are you planning on scoping the 318?

Mark

Mark,
No Sir, I do alot of all of my competitive shooting with irons even when a scope may be allowed by the rules. Strange thing is that I shoot better scores with my irons than glass. You should know by now I'm kind of strange (LOL) I really like using irons but will normally use a scope in the field while hunting. Just thought this rifle would be a nice one to go "old school" on.

one of us
posted Hide Post
John,

Shot distances on the Save on average may be shorter than you found in Sengwa. I can definitely see you getting some use from the 318 there next year.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12914 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
John,

Shot distances on the Save on average may be shorter than you found in Sengwa. I can definitely see you getting some use from the 318 there next year.

Mark

Mark,
Longest shot at Sengwa was 250 yds. on the Waterbuck. Dawns second Zebra was about the same, everything else was within 100 yds. If the shots get any closer I will have to brush up on my hand to hand combat a bit. Not sure the 318 is going to make the 2019 trip, with Buffalo being the main focus for me I will use Dawn's rifle for any of the smaller stuff, or the 404.Hope you and Sadie are doing well, wish our weather would break.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Well executed rifle so far! Look forward to the finished pictures.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Very classy lines and very classy caliber. Should be a real treat to see the English (?) walnut oiled and checkered to perfection. Fine choice of wood there.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Any update? I'd love to see the rust blued rifle, finished stock with checkering and ultimately the final rifle!

Such classics just get my heart thumping and goose bumps rising.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11019 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
Any update? I'd love to see the rust blued rifle, finished stock with checkering and ultimately the final rifle!

Such classics just get my heart thumping and goose bumps rising.

The gun is being blued and the caliber engraving done, should be in my hands soon. I am doing the stock finish and then off for checkering. I will post more pictures as things move along.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Yes

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9889 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
Just got this last night, guns back from bluing and then when I get it I will do the stock finish.